Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
i've had my MBP for under a month and i've already noticed the space bar is begining to show signs of wear! i would hardly say i'm a power user and my 3 year old ibook didn't even show wear on the keys.

is this normal? should i get it replaced? is it easy to replace keys? if so, where can i buy another space bar?

thanks!

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
I have had my MBP for nearly a year now but haven't noticed any wear on my keyboard. If its been only a month for you, I would suggest you to get it checked with Apple, they may replace it for you.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
It appears to happen in some cases to some people. Apparently, certain people excrete oils or have rather acidic sweat that causes the keybaord finish to wear off way prematurely. Not that it's the fault of those people who are affected, but unfortuantely it does happen.

You may want to consider an iSkin for your keyboard. Just take care to either wash it frequently or remove it before you close the lid, or you could embed finger oils onto the screen.

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
i was thinking about an iskin, but didn't want to distract from the look of the laptop. maybe the clear one wouldn't do that. but like you said, i was reading complaints about it putting grease and whatnot on the screen.
i just find it weird that it didn't happen with my old computer and is happening so quickly with this one. i may take it into apple and see what they say.

It appears to happen in some cases to some people. Apparently, certain people excrete oils or have rather acidic sweat that causes the keybaord finish to wear off way prematurely. Not that it's the fault of those people who are affected, but unfortuantely it does happen.

You may want to consider an iSkin for your keyboard. Just take care to either wash it frequently or remove it before you close the lid, or you could embed finger oils onto the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.