Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-Escher-

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2005
I always had this question about the OLD PB 15'' screen size...Now they moved to the standard 15.4".

-Why 15.2 and not 15.4 like ALL PCs?
-Why did they changed it on new MBP?
-Did they have to get a screen that matches with the processor to fix the horizontal lines problem on old PB 15''?
-So, I assume that the old PB will always have this lines....even the 2006 models....

BENJMNS

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
-Escher- said:
I always had this question about the OLD PB 15'' screen size...Now they moved to the standard 15.4".

-Why 15.2 and not 15.4 like ALL PCs?
-Why did they changed it on new MBP?
-Did they have to get a screen that matches with the processor to fix the horizontal lines problem on old PB 15''?
-So, I assume that the old PB will always have this lines....even the 2006 models....

i'm more curious about the screen brightness. so it's 67% brighter than the new 15" and 17" hi-res screens which touted an increase as well?

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
Why does it matter? 15.4, 15.2... same thing :rolleyes:

I think there made by a different manufacturer...

It's actually better becuase it has the same resolution... but the screen is just a little bigger than the 15.2 so the pixels arent as small. But 67% more brightness? :eek: Is that from the last model, or the model before the high res screens?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Apple had to make a huge (apparently long-term) committment to start with the 15.2 inch widescreen displays. Quite a ways through that, the bright 15.4 inch widescreen displays arrived and Apple couldn't use it because of the differences in size.

Now, they actually have a chance with MacBook Pro to use the same kind of display and eschew the problems they've had going their own way with the 15.2 inch. They should get better pricing, too, since they're not the only customer of 15.4 inch displays.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
w_parietti22 said:
Why does it matter? 15.4, 15.2... same thing :rolleyes:

I think there made by a different manufacturer...

It's actually better becuase it has the same resolution... but the screen is just a little bigger than the 15.2 so the pixels arent as small. But 67% more brightness? :eek: Is that from the last model, or the model before the high res screens?

You've got that backwards. A smaller pixel is GOOD. More pixels per sq. inch is GOOD. That said, the .2" difference isn't going to make a big deal.

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
I never understood why apples resolutions were non standard. Never made sense. Now that I see all the problems with the rev E powerbooks I see why they finally changed it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.