Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maclincsUK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
Hi Folks,

Thought that I would share this one with you, as I know some people are having the same problem.

My MBP which is less than 18mths old started to have some screen backlight issues a few weeks ago - then over the weekend I noticed that screen was flickering more and more until after a few minutes the backlight went out dead - leaving the screen with the GUI in the background which I could just about see.

Popped into my local Apple Store and the guy knew stright away what the problem was and arranged for the repair, it turns out it needs a new power invertor or something like that - which is costing £26 for the part and then some £65 for the labour....

It just made me smile that after telling the guy what was going on, he knew without even looking at it what the problem was - Maybe Apple do know about the issue, but cannot be bothered to sort it out and leaving it until people have to pay for repairs like me! Lets face it, all you have to do it look around on the net and you will see loads of people complaining about the same issue, and Apple have even blocked some post on their forum about this issue!!

Trepex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
Hi Folks,

Thought that I would share this one with you, as I know some people are having the same problem.

My MBP which is less than 18mths old started to have some screen backlight issues a few weeks ago - then over the weekend I noticed that screen was flickering more and more until after a few minutes the backlight went out dead - leaving the screen with the GUI in the background which I could just about see.

Popped into my local Apple Store and the guy knew stright away what the problem was and arranged for the repair, it turns out it needs a new power invertor or something like that - which is costing £26 for the part and then some £65 for the labour....

It just made me smile that after telling the guy what was going on, he knew without even looking at it what the problem was - Maybe Apple do know about the issue, but cannot be bothered to sort it out and leaving it until people have to pay for repairs like me! Lets face it, all you have to do it look around on the net and you will see loads of people complaining about the same issue, and Apple have even blocked some post on their forum about this issue!!

Yep it's the inverter 9 times out of 10 when the symptoms are as you describe; however, these issues afflict every brand of laptop, not Apple alone. Sometimes the inverter is bad and other times it's something else causing the inverter to go, but one way or another it's not an issue to be tied to a specific manufacturer or brand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.