Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
My Mid-2014 MacBook Pro Retina's right USB port stopped working. I tried the SMC reset and the NVRAM reset. It seems the only thing left to do would be to replace the logic board which is a $300ish job. I don't want to that and I'd like to keep this laptop around for longer so I'm thinking I can just live with it. I'm just wondering what my best options are to get an additional USB port.

I saw on Amazon there's a 1 to 4 USB 3.0 hub from Sabrent which is $9. A big thing I use my ports for is to transfer files back and forth between two portable Seagate USB 3.0 hard drives I have. Would it be ok to connect both to this hub and power off of one USB port?

Another option could be taking my thunderbolt and converting it to USB. That'd be nice because for the most part, my thunderbolt ports aren't really used.

But the two items I found on Amazon are both pricey:

Any thoughts on how best to proceed?

Also, attached is a screenshot of what my System Information Window shows for the USB port(s) if it means anything to anyone
Screen Shot 2017-07-24 at 4.33.13 PM.png

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
Never mind. Weirdly all the USB ports are now working again. I did see notices saying a USB port stopped working a few times which I thought was weird because I knew one stopped working. But then it looks like it fixed itself somehow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.