Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
I have looked through the threads on this, and I know that there are several, but my problem seems to semi unique. My MBP sometimes drops signal after sleep, but I'm not to worried about that. My real problem is that I can't get connected to a wireless networks unless the signal is super-strong. During my physics class, which is in a building with WIFI, my mbp recognizes the router- NETGEAR- which is maintained by my school but is not connected to the server and therefore has no security on it. Anyway, my MBP can see it, but refuses to connect. Two of my friends with iBooks have connected with 2 bars and maintained that connection for the entire 1hr 20min class.

Here at home, I am on the other side of the house from the router, and on the second floor- maybe 50 feet away if I walk from my room to the room right over the room with the router in it. I am getting 4 bars with the power cord in. If I unplug it, I drop to two bars. Does anybody have any idea on how I could improve my signal? This is becoming really irritating, and if I can't fix it I will have to live with no internet in class for research (and MR :D ). Any ideas?

Thanks.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Windows or OS X? I've found that Windows has terrible wireless reception and management.

I get full strength from my router in OS X and around 2-3 bars in Windows. I have a friend who can't get any signal at all in Windows.

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
Eidorian said:
Windows or OS X? I've found that Windows has terrible wireless reception and management.

I get full strength from my router in OS X and around 2-3 bars in Windows. I have a friend who can't get any signal at all in Windows.

Ouch, I call "mac zealot" on this one.

Windows actually has better WiFi signal with the same equipment. The MBP can get and sustain a connection in Windows much better than in OS X. I'm not really sure why that is, but I've tested it in multiple locations on several days.

But really... the MBP has a less-than-great WiFi card. The Intel PRO chipsets are much better.

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
This is on OSX- I don't have windows installed at the moment. I found that when I had windows on the machine that it got crap wireless, but since OSX is giving me the same result its not really a partisan thing. I tried it again today and everything is the same...

dailo

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2006
I had horrible reception before and I thought it was my router, but than I brought in my MBP for repair and I believe they replaced practically everything and now my wireless signal is giving me full bars where before I got no bars.

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
dailo said:
I had horrible reception before and I thought it was my router, but than I brought in my MBP for repair and I believe they replaced practically everything and now my wireless signal is giving me full bars where before I got no bars.

Interesting...I go to school 5 blocks from an apple store so I guess I'll just pop in... I was just wondering if there was any program I could run or if there was anything I could do to improve reception and keep apple out of this- my computer has been repaired twice already, and has been out of my hands for around 10 days each time. Since I am now back in school and it is difficult for me to not have my computer, I wanted to do it myself, but if not, the store it is.

thebeephaha

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Seattle WA
Eidorian said:

Yea Windows blows with the wireless, Apple/Microsoft really needs to get on making good drivers..

However MBP's vs say the MB or iBook do have awful reception.

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
thebeephaha said:
Yea Windows blows with the wireless, Apple/Microsoft really needs to get on making good drivers..

Since when is it Microsoft's job to write drivers for someone else's hardware? :rolleyes:

Steve Jobless

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2006
ive been having the same problem since uping to x.4.7 but this is at home. before with x.4.4 i had perfect reception

madtodaimax

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2004
i have the last rev 12"pb and have the same problem. other people will find pretty good signal while im left with nothing, especially in places where the signal is weak... it seams my computer disconnects if the network isnt strong enough. how would i approach the genius bar if im looking for help?

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
Eidorian said:

thats probably because you have a good imagination. I bet your OSX makes better coffee in the morning too?

To the OP: are you caught up with all the software updates for the MBP? I know there was a patch a little while back that ended the whole dropping connection after sleep issue. I think it boosted the airport's reliability as well.

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
thebeephaha said:

hmm i wonder how that is possible since I beleive the mpb and mb have the same airport? Also, windows doesn't blow on wireless. Whatever experiences you've had were due to the 3rd party wireless card and/or drivers. duh.

ergle2

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
I suspect the problem may be connected to the aluminum case blocking more of the signal than the plastic case of most other laptops.

Edit: typo

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
JMG said:
To the OP: are you caught up with all the software updates for the MBP? I know there was a patch a little while back that ended the whole dropping connection after sleep issue. I think it boosted the airport's reliability as well.

I've got everything- from the SMC firmware update to iTunes 7 to 10.4.7.

madtodaimax said:
how would i approach the genius bar if im looking for help?

Well, not like me. I went and talked to the guy there and while he was nice, wasn't able to help solve the problem. I realize that it is hard to test, since my mbp picked up the apple store's signal just fine, but since nothing has been recognized by apple and he couldn't test it, he couldn't help me out. Anyway, he said that 10.4.8 will have some airport related updates; hopefully that will resolve my problem.

thebeephaha

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Seattle WA
In Windows I get like maybe half signal but in OS X I get full strength, also the AIM loses its connection in Win and so does Firefox, theres definitely a driver issue there.

But seriously, my friends G4 iBook gets WAY better signal than my MBP in OS X.

I'm talking through a cement wall better here too!

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
thebeephaha said:
Microsoft makes plenty of generic drivers for hardware.

Yes, they do. However it's not their job (i.e. responsibility) to make drivers for third-party hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.