Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2006
Bozeman, Montana
I just installed all the current updates for my 17" MBP. After all were downloaded, I did the restart to install the latest firmware update. The initial startup screen with the spinning progress icon goes for several minutes then it goes off to a command prompt so it is not finding the OS now?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I'm really screwed if I can't get this back up and running ASAP. Thanks.

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
Well I'm sorry that I don't know how to fix it, but the "command prompt" that you're referring to is probably the EFI shell. Really weird.

bobt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2006
Bozeman, Montana
I'm working on restoring right now but it seems to be hung with the restore. I'm wondering if the problem is Parallels and the additional partion for XP.

Really sick over it. If no luck will probably take it to an Apple Store tomorrow (an hour each way). Just hate having a "genius" work on it from some of the situations I've read about here and elsewhere.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Update Firmware...

for my MacBook 2.16, was "click" on the Shutdown button in the window and this would restart, then hold the power button down until there is an audible tone, (it took about 15 seconds), then I released the power button and when the desktop appeared, the prompt read: Firmware has been successfully updated.:cool:

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Just hate having a "genius" work on it from some of the situations I've read about here and elsewhere.

Have more faith in them. Remember people are really only likely to complain about their problems on a forum, rather than herald how well everything went. Good luck! :)

bobt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2006
Bozeman, Montana
Have more faith in them. Remember people are really only likely to complain about their problems on a forum, rather than herald how well everything went. Good luck! :)

Good points. Often times people go in to the Apple Stores, car dealer service department, etc. with an attitude and wonder why they get poor service.

Regarding the problem, I did get a restore to work yesterday morning. I don't know what was different or what I did different, but it went through the firmware restore, rebooted, and all seems to be fine. Really strange but I'm so happy to have my computer back up and working well.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.