Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jshrs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2016
NZ
I've been having trouble with my MacBook recently where most of the time it won't turn on.
It started when it completely ran out of battery and wouldn't turn back on even after a full charge but a few days later it successfully booted. Now every time it runs out of battery I have trouble getting it back on.
When I press the power button the indicator light flashes for about half a second and I hear a short tick sound. I have tried pretty much everything including trying to reset the SMC with no luck. The last time I got it working was last Tuesday but stupidly decided to update it and when it tried to restart it wouldn't turn back on.
Would appreciate any help,
Cheers

Jshrs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2016
NZ
Is this a Retina model?

Have you tried a different adapter or unplugging the battery?

No it is not a retina, it is a late 2012 I believe.
I have tried unplugging the battery with no luck. I haven't tried a different adapter but have a friends I could try that with, although my adapter seems fine I will give it a shot

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
I had an adapter that I though was working fine but would not charge the battery. A different one worked.

If cMBP, then maybe replace the battery. What did it say about the health, if you checked?

Jshrs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2016
NZ
I had an adapter that I though was working fine but would not charge the battery. A different one worked.

If cMBP, then maybe replace the battery. What did it say about the health, if you checked?

I did check, using a dashboard app called iStat Pro, it said the battery health was 78%
When I press the battery indicator button on the side all of the green lights light up

Jshrs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2016
NZ

Tried my friends charger and unfortunately it didn't work

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.