Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danielwerner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Hi!

I've been wanting a new mac for a while now, I sold my 2012 rMBP15 six months ago in order to get a new one. Was thinking of the MBP13 for more portability. I'm mostly going to use it for browsing, web design, gaming (Heroes of the Storm mostly, so not a GPU-intensive FPS or something), maybe some light video editing. And also, I want as good speakers as possible since I'll use it a lot as a music player.

And then I saw the new MBP line... Just no. In my currency (Swedish crowns) the new MBP13 is almost 2300 dollars. And for that I get 8gb of RAM, an i5 processor, and a not-so-good internal GPU.

So now I'm thinking on what to do. And I think I've got two alternatives.

1. I get the 2015 rMBP13. 2.7 ghz Broadwell i5, Intel Iris Graphics 6100, 8gb RAM, and 128gb SSD. Cost? 1300 dollars.

2. I get an ASUS Zenbook UX310UQ. 2.7 ghz Kaby Lake (two generations newer!) i7, a discrete GTX940MX, 16gb RAM, 512gb SSD. Cost? 1300 dollars also.

No matter which I get, I will probably sell it when/if Apple ever decides to ease up on the moneygrubbing and give some value for the money. I'm hoping a better MPB will come 2017, with i7, 16gb RAM and a decent GPU for under 2000 dollars.

So... Input? Anyone with experience of these laptops? I guess it all comes down to how much I want Mac OS. I love it, and I love Final Cut Pro, but I'm not sure if all the downsides spec-wise are worth it.

Thanks! :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I will probably sell it when/if Apple ever decides to ease up on the moneygrubbing and give some value for the money.
I'm not understanding this comment. If you don't like Apple, then get something else. What exactly must they do to change their money grubbing ways?

danielwerner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
I'm not understanding this comment. If you don't like Apple, then get something else. What exactly must they do to change their money grubbing ways?
Not sure I get your response actually. I didn't say I don't like Apple. I love Apple, but I'm not prepared to pay 1000 dollars just for the OS and design (well, and the touchbar I guess). Would you be?

To change what I consider money grubbing, they should release something that has a cost on par with what the actual hardware can perform. I'm perfectly fine with paying a few hundred bucks extra for Apple. But this is beginning to be ridiculous. They are charging me 2300 dollars for hardware that would have half the price if it were a PC.

Thanks for your comment anyway!

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Not sure I get your response actually. I didn't say I don't like Apple. I love Apple, but I'm not prepared to pay 1000 dollars just for the OS and design (well, and the touchbar I guess). Would you be?

To change what I consider money grubbing, they should release something that has a cost on par with what the actual hardware can perform. I'm perfectly fine with paying a few hundred bucks extra for Apple. But this is beginning to be ridiculous. They are charging me 2300 dollars for hardware that would have half the price if it were a PC.

Thanks for your comment anyway!

The costs of apples products are on a par with the premium products and beat or match the performance of their rivals in the same size and weight classes almost across the board. The OS and free apps and support and hardware quality is just a bonus in my eyes, the MacBook Pro 13 is of a similar price to the surface book the 15 that of a razor blade or desktop replacement laptop from dell once you spec them out.

as maflynn says if what they offer is not for you for any reason price included then don't buy them, they are under no obligation to sell anything other than what they want to just as you are under no obligation to buy.

danielwerner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Right. I was under the impression that people were disappointed with Apple's huge price increase in the MBP 2016. Clearly this was the wrong forum to imply choosing something else than a Mac. :)

You may close the thread. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.