Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QuickNDeadly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
This is not new but wanted to ask the community about their experience and see if others have the same problem.

I have a Macbook Pro 16' version and use it in shell mode when I am sitting at my desk with my Magic Keyboard and Magic Mouse connected. No issues up to this point, everything smooth as butter. Problems emerge as soon as I connect my bluetooth headset. Keyboard input lags, mouse is dragging, jumpy cursor, headset audio gets distorted. Sounds like bandwidth limitations to me. Apple website says up to 3-4 devices is the sweet spot. However, I can't get more than 2 devices connected.

I am just wondering if there are others using their laptop the way I do with many Bluetooth devices and how their experience look like (trying to see if I am the only one). Also if you experienced issues and there are work arounds or products you used and can recommend, I am would be ears for those too.

Thanks in advance!

denisclc

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2012
São Paulo, Brazil
I use my MacBook Pro 16” in a very similar way. I use it in clamshell mode and have it connected over bluetooth to a MX Master 3 and MX Keys. Then I’ll connect my Airpods Pro, and everything is smooth and works perfectly with this setup.

I did have a little bit of mouse cursor stuttering the other day while I was pairing a different keyboard over bluetooth (G915 TKL), but it only happened during pairing. After that it was back to smooth sailing, although I did not yet use this different keyboard while my Airpods are also connected.

QuickNDeadly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
Thanks for the feedback. It is nice to hear that it is not common. I recently upgraded to Big Sur and tested again and still the same. I am using JBL Bluetooth headset; may be I should try another Bluetooth phones to see if it will make any difference. In the meanwhile, using wired M50x with no issues. Also no issues if I didn't use the keyboard and the mouse.

Airpods 3 rumored to be on the way, I might just wait and see if they will be worth investing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.