Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yakult121

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2011
Hello experts!

I have a MBP2011 running Mojave that only boots up after the following two steps.
1. Disabling the GPU then reboot
2. Logging into Recovery via USB then reboot

I just can't log into Mojave from power up. I have to first boot from the Mojave recovery USB stick then reboot into Mojave. Any ideas?

My MBP2011 config
1. Running Mojave 10.14.6
2. Applied dosdude1's patches
3. GPU is busted so I've disabled it from Single User command line.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
How often do you have to shut your MBPro off?
Do you have any problems if you just sleep your MBPro when you are not using it?
So, if sleeping is OK, then you could just use it, without shutting off, or restarting, unless you find it necessary to shutdown/restart because of some software or update that requires a reboot.

yakult121

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2011
How often do you have to shut your MBPro off?
Do you have any problems if you just sleep your MBPro when you are not using it?
So, if sleeping is OK, then you could just use it, without shutting off, or restarting, unless you find it necessary to shutdown/restart because of some software or update that requires a reboot.
I shutdown every night but keep the power connected cos it's irritating to update system time everytime power gets cut.

I'm looking for good mbp2011 batteries too. The ones i get says they can hold a charge for 4 hours but usually dies after 15 minutes.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Ah, OK. Yes, struggling with a not-quite-reliable battery can be tiresome, to say the least...

If you need to reset the time/date every time you boot, then you ALSO would lose the boot drive selection in the Startup Disk pref pane.
I also think that running a patched macOS, on hardware that is defective, maybe results in the boot drive problems that you have.
Do you have an SSD installed? or still running an older spinning hard drive?

yakult121

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2011
Ah, OK. Yes, struggling with a not-quite-reliable battery can be tiresome, to say the least...

If you need to reset the time/date every time you boot, then you ALSO would lose the boot drive selection in the Startup Disk pref pane.
I also think that running a patched macOS, on hardware that is defective, maybe results in the boot drive problems that you have.
Do you have an SSD installed? or still running an older spinning hard drive?
Running on SATA SSD at the moment. Yes my hardware is likely defective. The side battery indicator lights comes on sometimes, previously. Now almost never.
The charging port doesn’t sit too well with a brand new L ac adapter

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.