Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Baletin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
I never used the internal speakers of my MBPr because I used only headphones. This is why I did not recognised that the internal speakers have no low frequency sounds at all. Unfortunately I do not know since when it happened and as I have no any warranty now, I'd like to check speakers on my own.

Is there any programme that can help with that? Any equalizer for freqs adjustments? Any ideas?

I understand that giving the comp to Apple will cost a fortune to repair such an old Mac...

eddjedi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Are you saying your laptop has no bass? How much bass are you expecting from a <1cm thick laptop!?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
No software equalizer will provide any help if your speakers have failed.
Did you compare your MBPro with another MBPro of the same approximate age? If you have nothing to compare the sound, other than headphones, then the sound of the internal speakers may be completely normal - your headphones will provide a lot of sound, along with plenty of bass.
Internal speakers in a laptop? Not so much :)

If you take to an Apple store - you would be able to find out if there really is a problem, and the speakers need to be replaced --- or you will find out that what you hear is completely normal for the speakers in your MBPro.
An Apple store should not charge you just to test your MBPro, and they will tell you how much the repair will cost - could be less than you expect, but at least you won't have to guess! And, you don't have to let the store repair unless you agree to the charges.

You did not say which model you have - the 13-inch will sound significantly different from the 15-inch rMBPro.

You can replace the speakers yourself, if you need to do that. Challenging, but do-able. Look here to see if you are interested in doing the repair.
The 13-inch can have each speaker replaced individually. A 15-inch has paired speakers, so you would replace both left and right at the same time.

Last edited:

Baletin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
No software equalizer will provide any help if your speakers have failed.
Did you compare your MBPro with another MBPro of the same approximate age? If you have nothing to compare the sound, other than headphones, then the sound of the internal speakers may be completely normal - your headphones will provide a lot of sound, along with plenty of bass.
Internal speakers in a laptop? Not so much :)

If you take to an Apple store - you would be able to find out if there really is a problem, and the speakers need to be replaced --- or you will find out that what you hear is completely normal for the speakers in your MBPro.
An Apple store should not charge you just to test your MBPro, and they will tell you how much the repair will cost - could be less than you expect, but at least you won't have to guess! And, you don't have to let the store repair unless you agree to the charges.

You did not say which model you have - the 13-inch will sound significantly different from the 15-inch rMBPro.

You can replace the speakers yourself, if you need to do that. Challenging, but do-able. Look here to see if you are interested in doing the repair.
The 13-inch can have each speaker replaced individually. A 15-inch has paired speakers, so you would replace both left and right at the same time.

Thanks for your detailed answer. It's 15 inch MBP. Now, when I put the loudness to maximum I can hear some bass, so you probably right about the nature of the problem. I just did not expect them to be so low quality as such....

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
So - in 5 years, you never tried out the internal speakers:confused:
The internals don't allow for much volume from the sub-woofer portion, so it's a challenge to make a laptop with decent sounding speakers. Also tough to compare to headphones, which naturally should have a better sound, particularly if you have the type that covers your ears. That gives the headphone manufacturer (and you) ultimate control over the sound, compared to the tiny devices in your laptop that have a big challenge to try to reproduce audio in any practical way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.