Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TomF1477

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2017
My rMBP 15" mid 2012 is occasionally crashing with the computer shutting completely down (black screen) with no previous warning. I cannot turn the computer back on, when trying the battery low screen is showing. After connecting to the charger the computer boots and battery level shows the previous percentage (e.g. 54%).
This behavior cannot be reproduced and the sudden shut down happens at various % levels.
The battery status according to macOS is good with 441 cycles.

I suspected a battery issue and took it to the Genius Bar. After running some analytics they suspect it to be the logic board or similar. The repair costs is well above USD 600. They kept the MBP for further analysis and will call me in 3-5 business days. The Genius asked whether I was willing to pay the charge. I replied I didn't know and it would depend on what the issue is.
The Apple Genius said this was apparently a known issue, but he didn't explain the details. Has anyone heard if this? Apparently there was a free exchange program but that run out. However, when a couple of years ago they have replaced my screen (white dots) the analysis back then did not show that my MBP was affected.

My questions are:
1. Has anyone heard about this before and can anyone explain to me what the issue is? I didn't find anything on Google and the only board exchange program I have found related to video issues, which I definitely do not have.

2. Is it worth paying to get this fixed? I mean, the computer is 5 years old and I'd expect that at some point the support and OS updates will end

3. Is it possible that this indeed is caused by a battery issue and not with the board?

4. What other issues are known for the rMBP 15 of mid-2012?

Last edited:

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
I’m having the same issue with my 2012 MBA. Apple said my battery is in great shape for the age. I haven’t gone back but made my own educated guess and thinking it is indeed the logic board. I honestly don’t want to know the cost, yet. Lol. Except mine will just shut off whenever if unplugged. It can go down to 30% and then shut off or to 99% and shut off. Lately it has been happening either immediately after unplugging or a few minutes after.

The crappy thing is these things still run very well. Mine is in mint condition with a great battery but then this happened. I’m not sure on what to do myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.