Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
What is the difference between these lightning to hdmi adapters?

The former one has been sold over 3 years now and the latter one at least from last July...

Last edited:

A.R.E.A.M.

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2015
Los Angeles, California
perhaps updates in the way it was built. different internals. kinda like saying what is different from a 2012 model car vs a 2013 model car.

car parts are the same way. same car parts can get an updated parts number as the manufacturing process improves, etc.

as long as its apple branded and certified, both seem legit and offer the same experience.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Maybe, but if you are just guessing, it might be otherwise as easily.
Apple doesn't offer any real specs for the dongle. What version of hdmi? What is the max resolution it can push through? Etc.

Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.

A.R.E.A.M.

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2015
Los Angeles, California
yeah im speculating because i dont manufacture the product. you are seeking opinions on a public forum that is not guaranteed to be answered to by actual apple employees or apple engineers, with all due respect.

apple have a few ways to contact them. if you want an official reason as to what the differences are, then contact apple directly.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Yep, I will. In my country that means by phone earliest in next tuesday.
I just hoped that somebody has already asked them and could tell what they said...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.