Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MicroTecture

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2020
I see a lot of benefits from having an MDD, but getting an MDD locally and online both are extremely difficult. I got lucky that I found a PowerMac of any kind locally here because it's extremely rare and in most cases they're overpriced if you find ANY. Motherboards don't appear so difficult at the moment and I have a DA with a motherboard I question is faulty or not. Would an MDD motherboard fit in a DA?

Raging Dufus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2018
Kansas USA
Yes, but you'd also need an MDD power supply, which won't fit in your DA. There are ways of getting around that, like adapting an ATX power supply. But it's not a simple swap.

Also, while the board will physically fit, the ports won't line up with the case. And the CPU on the MDD is in a different spot than the DA, so cooling is going to be an issue. You'd probably have to completely rearrange the insides of your DA case to make it work.

So, bottom line, yes it's doable, but would be a royal PITA.

MicroTecture

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2020
If you're in the U.S., here's a really reasonable DA board on eBay (not my auction). I doubt you'd find a better deal than that.
Well, it is also the fact that getting good CPUs like a dual G4 are extremely difficult to find for a DA/QS. QS CPUs work on a DA but all of the dual G4 CPUs meant for a QS or DA are just way too overpriced, I’m not really optimistic in spending over $100 USD for a dual G4 CPU like that. All of the ones on eBay are staying on an absurdly high price, one of them had its auction end with 7 watchers but no bidders, the seller’s response was by relisting the same listing with the same price again hoping someone buys it for almost $200 USD

Reactions: Raging Dufus

Raging Dufus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2018
Kansas USA
Well, it is also the fact that getting good CPUs like a dual G4 are extremely difficult to find for a DA/QS. QS CPUs work on a DA but all of the dual G4 CPUs meant for a QS or DA are just way too overpriced, I’m not really optimistic in spending over $100 USD for a dual G4 CPU like that. All of the ones on eBay are staying on an absurdly high price, one of them had its auction end with 7 watchers but no bidders, the seller’s response was by relisting the same listing with the same price again hoping someone buys it for almost $200 USD
I couldn't agree more. I too am on the lookout for such things. Good luck.

ervus

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2020
Well, it is also the fact that getting good CPUs like a dual G4 are extremely difficult to find...

Yes, complete towers are expensive to ship and CPU upgrades are rare. If you want something cheaper you could try looking for a mini or powerbook to get 1GHz or faster CPU. Shipping should be cheaper too.

MicroTecture

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2020
Yes, complete towers are expensive to ship and CPU upgrades are rare. If you want something cheaper you could try looking for a mini or powerbook to get 1GHz or faster CPU. Shipping should be cheaper too.
Mini's are usually expensive from what I've seen though. Not all of them support QE/CI Leopard either. I have this PowerMac already, I see an unusual $125 dual CPU on eBay. Some sucker might buy it sadly and not realize it's not worth the price. I guess it would be worth it in a sense if I had good soldering skills, some people have desoldered the CPUs off of a DP board, then soldered on faster G4's but I have no soldering experience AT ALL. No clue where to start either.​

ervus

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2020
Is that the dual 500MHz one you're talking about? I don't think that will fit a DA anyway. Does it have to be a dual? I see there's a sonnet upgrade for sale right now.

MicroTecture

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2020
Not sure, people who suggest CPU upgrades they prefer a dual CPU one because it runs better apparently, well duh two CPUs. I just thought it'd be cool to upgrade it to a DP since I don't really have another PowerPC machine that is DP actually lol.

Looks like it wouldn't fit, thought it would there. Sonnet upgrades are like $300USD last time I checked. Dang, it's like there's a shortage of these things! I guess if I could practice soldering my best bet without giving eBay scalpers money. Desolder the existing CPU and put a better one on.

I'm surprised no one has attempted to reverse engineer a DP board at all, then just solder on the two CPUs yourself, right?

ervus

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2020
If you want a soldering project it looks like bare upgrade boards are available on ebay:

s-l1600.jpg

If something is rare and people want it, then "overpriced" might just be the price. You can keep an eye on craigslist and patrol dumpsters if you need to get a great deal. In some places in the world you can literally find gold lying on the ground.

MicroTecture

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2020
If you want a soldering project it looks like bare upgrade boards are available on ebay:

s-l1600.jpg

If something is rare and people want it, then "overpriced" might just be the price. You can keep an eye on craigslist and patrol dumpsters if you need to get a great deal. In some places in the world you can literally find gold lying on the ground.
Dang! Would that even work on a DA?

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Dang! Would that even work on a DA?
Yeah those sonnet cards are designed for "all AGP based G4s". Usually the Cube is the exception but only due to space\cooling constraints.

I *think* you can use a dual 500MHz in a DA, but it will run at a different speed. The DA is a different bus speed. I might be wrong, but I am pretty sure I have read about people doing that. I'd test it out for you myself but my DA is ironically the only Graphite G4 I own that doesn't work (I own 5 graphite's, 3 are sawtooth's).

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
The Apple OEM dual 450/500MHz CPU from an AGP/Gigabit will not fit a DA/Quicksilver.
I was going to say yes they will, some of the screws just won’t line up.
But I think you’re right, I’m comparing them now and I remember it’s the DA/QS will fit on the sawtooth/mystic not the other way around.

Raging Dufus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2018
Kansas USA
What? No! Have you ever even seen an MDD? There is not a single chance you're fitting an MDD motherboard inside any other G4 case without severe modifications, far more extreme than even a microATX conversion.

Nice. You took my post completely out of context. There was a lot that followed that "yes", like this:
Also, while the board will physically fit, the ports won't line up with the case. And the CPU on the MDD is in a different spot than the DA, so cooling is going to be an issue. You'd probably have to completely rearrange the insides of your DA case to make it work.
Not only have I seen an MDD, if you look at my signature you'll see that I have one. Apart from cosmetic differences, it uses the exact same case as the DA. So YES, the logic board will fit in a DA case, which is what the OP asked. But please don't act like I just left it at that - because I didn't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.