Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macincar

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2006
What 's this "mdimport" process? Anyone?
356011563_4fb81d4f1a_o.jpg

macincar

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2006
spotlight? why it rebuilt all the time? sometime it just annoying. but at least i know what it is now:)

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
spotlight? why it rebuilt all the time?
Any time you add, change, delete files, the index needs to be updated.

If you have really busy volumes or folders (for backups or any app that gives the disks a good workout) and don't need them to be searchable, you can add them under the Privacy tab of the Spotlight system preferences to cut down on unneeded activity.

dusanv

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2006
Any time you add, change, delete files, the index needs to be updated.
Theoretically, it should catch all file modifications on the fly and update its database. It shouldn't scan all that much. My copy was doing the same thing until I prevented it from scanning the Windows partition ('cause it kept doing that). Now you can't hear a peep out of it. Spotlight is still very rough around the edges...

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
I had that problem once, it seemed to scan the disk constantly for no real reason.

I added all my disks into the 'exclude' list in the spotlight preferences, then removed them again. It scanned once after I removed them from the exclude list and I've never had a problem since.

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
Hmm, that has nevered bothered me before... I don't have a busy volume though.

And it's the first time I opened Activity Monitor :) F@h is great! When the computer is idle it eats the cpu. When I'm using it, it goes down to 2% :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.