Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lom8104

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2005
Has anyone yet figured out the proper way to setup mobile me with their PC at work (mine runs outlook 2007 and an exchange server) their mac at home and an iphone? I had been using entourage to sync my calendar and now am using exchange support on the iphone for emails (not contacts or calendars since it seems to overwrite existing calendars and contacts). I wonder if I should disable entourage syncing and use mobile me? My concern is letting outlook sync with contacts and calendar since my previous experience with palm / plaxo / yahoo / google sync services between outlook and mac results in lots of dupes, combining of calendars, corrupted data, etc.

Has anyone given a shot yet?

steve bate

macrumors member
May 23, 2008
Has anyone yet figured out the proper way to setup mobile me with their PC at work (mine runs outlook 2007 and an exchange server) their mac at home and an iphone? I had been using entourage to sync my calendar and now am using exchange support on the iphone for emails (not contacts or calendars since it seems to overwrite existing calendars and contacts). I wonder if I should disable entourage syncing and use mobile me? My concern is letting outlook sync with contacts and calendar since my previous experience with palm / plaxo / yahoo / google sync services between outlook and mac results in lots of dupes, combining of calendars, corrupted data, etc.

Got the mac/iphone/mobileme sorted but not a clue how to get my office outlook 2003 to sync up to mobileme. Cant find any documentation anywhere :confused:

Steve

lom8104

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2005
You have to download the latest iTunes for the PC (7.7). You then go to the control panel and setup mobile me from there. I have the bookmark sync going but haven't turned on contacts and calendars yet.

steve bate

macrumors member
May 23, 2008
You have to download the latest iTunes for the PC (7.7). You then go to the control panel and setup mobile me from there. I have the bookmark sync going but haven't turned on contacts and calendars yet.

I forgot to put iTunes on the PC d'oh!!

Trying to get Outlook to sync now, it's a bit iffy at the momnet tho'

RobS-UK

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Bristol, UK
I can't get an Outlook sync to work at all, it just tells me it cannot connect to MM after I put in my username and password. Are you getting the same problem?

lom8104

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2005
Booyah, guess I'm the lucky one? Got my stuff sync'd up.

Could you tell us how it handles data between outlook and os x? Does it merge calendars or keep them separate? Are you on an exchange server? If so, how does it handle contacts and calendars?

Thanks,

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Could you tell us how it handles data between outlook and os x? Does it merge calendars or keep them separate? Are you on an exchange server? If so, how does it handle contacts and calendars?

Thanks,

Followed Apple's instructions posted on their site.

If you've never 'really' used Outlook you might want to investigate 'Categories'

iCal calls them Calendars, Outlook calls them Categories, the 2 are identical. Categories will translate to Calendars in iCal. I've had this setup for a while and sync my Treo 750 up between my iMac (iCal) and my Dell (Outlook) and it works great.

If you have your outlook organized by using categories, this will work out great, otherwise it'll merge everythign into a jumbled mess.

It works like Sync does on the Mac.

And yes, I'm using Outlook so I'm using Exchange, anything less on Outlook (not outlook express) is POP IMO.

RobS-UK

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Bristol, UK
Its now working on my girlfriends PC at home - which is not actually a good thing as it means that it might be the firewall at work which is blocking it from working!

I'll have to wait until Monday now to find out.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Followed Apple's instructions posted on their site.

If you've never 'really' used Outlook you might want to investigate 'Categories'

iCal calls them Calendars, Outlook calls them Categories, the 2 are identical. Categories will translate to Calendars in iCal. I've had this setup for a while and sync my Treo 750 up between my iMac (iCal) and my Dell (Outlook) and it works great.

If you have your outlook organized by using categories, this will work out great, otherwise it'll merge everythign into a jumbled mess.

It works like Sync does on the Mac.

And yes, I'm using Outlook so I'm using Exchange, anything less on Outlook (not outlook express) is POP IMO.

Do you know if it's possible to sync a specific iCal calendar with a specific Outlook category? I only want to sync one of my two iCal calendars with my secretary's PC, but I want to sync all of them with my iPhone and two Macs. (I suspect that this isn't possible, but it'd be great if I could.)

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Do you know if it's possible to sync a specific iCal calendar with a specific Outlook category? I only want to sync one of my two iCal calendars with my secretary's PC, but I want to sync all of them with my iPhone and two Macs. (I suspect that this isn't possible, but it'd be great if I could.)

I've tried under .mac and no.

You can try using like google calendars and publish your ical calendar to it then give your sec access that way.

Wife and I tried sync'ing specific calendars, we gave up and now we just hide ones we don't want to see.

49erPress

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2007
i followed the instructions from apple, signed into the mobileme control panel on my pc and set it up to push my calendar and contacts - but it doesn't seem to be working. on my pc, it is telling me it is syncing, but contacts and calendars aren't showing up on mobileme or on my iphone. anyone having this same issue?

steve bate

macrumors member
May 23, 2008
i followed the instructions from apple, signed into the mobileme control panel on my pc and set it up to push my calendar and contacts - but it doesn't seem to be working. on my pc, it is telling me it is syncing, but contacts and calendars aren't showing up on mobileme or on my iphone. anyone having this same issue?

Oh yes!!

steve bate

macrumors member
May 23, 2008
Now lost all my ical calendars, thinking of just going to Exchange, at least that works well.

Push emai lis fine it's just calendaring thats stuffed.

Steve

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Considering this is the first official day mobileme is accepting these pushes, I wouldn't even attempt to try it (even though mine worked first time this morning) but now I can't connect period. Which is fine. I personally have patience to let the mass influx crowd bang on the servers repeatidly and have data get corrupted.

Give it a couple days before trying it. The account preferences pages seem to be hanging (tried on several machines on a couple different isp's) and the calendar is kicking back errors (via web) so it's probably really overloaded with every (not only 3g but original) iphone and ipod owner trying to use mobileme for the first time and probably hitting it more than they should be.

49erPress

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2007
i have to admit, i am a little miffed that apple didn't roll out mobileme, the 2.0 software and the new iphones over a three day period to avoid some of these problems.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
i have to admit, i am a little miffed that apple didn't roll out mobileme, the 2.0 software and the new iphones over a three day period to avoid some of these problems.

Agreed, at least the current users (iPhone and iPod) would have a few days before the flux of 3g people.

Well, it is what it is, and it DOES work, now if it can 'stay' working that would be better.

londondude

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2007
home/ phone all worked ok but i really messed up my work outlook....

contacts messed up big time and address book all wrong. so now searching outlook forums to fix problems, delete the info and then resync it back to outlook. might go in on sunday to do this cos i wasted 3 hours (cheeky really) trying to sort this. I expected this problem so i backed everything up.

Now have to become an outlook expert to get it to work as i would like.

deniser

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
Cornwall, England
The only things I can not get to work are the mail app on my mac and the back to my mac (it says I must have upnp enabled on my router, it is enabled)

syclonefx

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
Daytona Beach Fl

You have to reset MobileMe sync data on your mac.

Open System Preferences.
Click on .mac or MobileMe.
Click Sync then click on Advanced.
Click Reset Sync Data. MAKE SURE THAT YOU SYNC FROM YOUR MAC TO MOBILEME!!!
Once it is done you can now sync you PC.

This worked for me. The only thing that isn't working is syncing the calendar.

huskydsl

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
Seattle
Exchange Activesync

I got my calendars, contacts and email to sync to my phone by using the same data i use to log into outlook web access. The server name is the same that I put into the browser minus the http part. I had to use a domain name in my user name because i have to use one when i log into OWA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.