Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MYZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2021
Canada
Hi everyone! This is my first post on macrumors, I’ve been lurking for a few years.

I updated my iPad Pro (2018) to iOS 15 recently (4 weeks ago) and I’ve noticed that I’ve already had to force restart the iPad once. I usually leave my iPad on overnight though I turned it off twice in this time too. This gives a mean time before crash, or failure (MTBF), of 1.5 ~ 2 weeks.

I typically use it 6 to 8 hours every day.

Has anyone experienced a similar pattern? Has anyone left an iPad or iPhone on for a full month (with regular usage) without it crashing?

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
What makes you force restart your iPad?
I am asking because I am aware of some bugs/incompatibilities between some Apps and iOS15 that can cause a particular App to freeze, but you can still force quit the App without having to restart the iPad.
For example, this happens every time with the Facebook App if you have a Smart Keyboard Folio attached and you try to read comments, but Ive noticed problems with other apps too.

I haven's restarted my 2028 pro in months.

Edit: err… that would be a 2018 machine instead…

Last edited:
Reactions: The1andOnly

MYZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2021
Canada
I am asking because I am aware of some bugs/incompatibilities between some Apps and iOS15 that can cause a particular App to freeze, but you can still force quit the App without having to restart the iPad.
For example, this happens every time with the Facebook App if you have a Smart Keyboard Folio attached and you try to read comments, but Ive noticed problems with other apps too.

Some Apps that crash can’t be exited, at least not for me, as the entire screen becomes unresponsive. Mostly third party apps, though I remember it happened at least once in Safari and Notes too when it was on iOS 14.

The1andOnly

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2020

Welcome back from the future. How is life in 2028+?

• Haha
Reactions: Samdh90 and Wando64

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
Some Apps that crash can’t be exited, at least not for me, as the entire screen becomes unresponsive. Mostly third party apps, though I remember it happened at least once in Safari and Notes too when it was on iOS 14.

So, once the app freezes you are unable to go to the app selector by swiping up?

In the case of Facebook, the entire screen becomes unresponsive, but I can still swipe up and force the app to quit.

MYZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2021
Canada
So, once the app freezes you are unable to go to the app selector by swiping up?

In the case of Facebook, the entire screen becomes unresponsive, but I can still swipe up and force the app to quit.
Yup, that is the case.

Samdh90

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2021
I don't think this is isolated to just an ipad issue. I had the same thing happen on my 12 Pro within an app but I cannot remember what app it was. What was different was that after about 20-30 seconds, the screen became responsive again and I was able to force quit the app. It might have been Facebook ironically.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
Yup, that is the case.

I would make a backup with iTunes, then reset the iPad to factory and restore from the backup.
That will re-install iPadOS and force the download and re-install of all your apps, but will keep your data.

Reactions: MYZ
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.