Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mimmi3000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2024
Well, hello there.

I recently purchased my first ever Apple product, the Mac Mini M2 with 16 GB RAM and 512 GB SSD, and I love it. I know understand why so many people use them.

I'm looking for a storage solution for all my media (movies, series and music), and a media player with a clean and minimalistic interface.

I live alone in a small studio apartment so I don't really need to be able to stream my content since I always watch it on my TV.

My Mac Mini is stored inside the Ikea PS cabinet and it is connected to my TV via HDMI.

The storage solution must fit inside the cabinet above.

I don't know if I should purchase something like two external HDD's (like the Seagate Expansion Desktop) and use Infuse 7, or if I should go the whole mile and purchase a NAS like the Synology DiskStation DS223j and Toshiba N300 internal HDD's? Or maybe something else?

And what about the potential risk of disk error? Can external HDD's that are not powered on all the time (my Mac Mini is only powered on when I'm home) be used as RAID 1? I have zero knowledge when it comes to RAID.

All my media are currently in physical form but I will convert them as I go.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post, and sorry for my bad english and grammar.

/Mimmi3000

Last edited:

weeesss

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2017
I have a simple Western Digital MyBook NAS drive and use Infuse to stream all my movies to two Apple TV’s and to my M1 Mini. It works great with no lag or issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.