Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
With the new 12.7 iTunes the app department has been removed,
what I want to know is, how can I transfer files (media) to certain apps on my iPad or iPhone ?

I am hesitant to update iTunes because of this,
I have a lot of series that I watch in the Infuse app, documents in Goodreader app and comics in the ComicZeal app.

Is there still an App tab when you connect an iPad, and can I still transfer files from my iMac to the iPad ?

Reactions: one more

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Same question here, as I often put videos into the VLC app on both iPhone & iPad. Also, what happens with our custom ringtones now after a clean (restore) iOS device installation?

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
Can someone please confirm that this is indeed working after updating to the latest iTunes? I don't care about the App sync, but being able to copy films, series, and docs from my Mac to my IOS devices, manually is VERY important to me.

Reactions: mcrawley

DianeK

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2013
Same problem here. What is irksome (a mild term compared to what I really want to say) is that when I updated my OS on my iMac to Sierra this weekend, unbeknownst to me, it changed my System Preferences regarding App updates to download AND install without warning. So when I booted up today - boom, I have iTunes 12.7. Is there a lawyer in the house?? Anyway, posting here so I can monitor this thread in case someone figures out a work around. I have my entire CD library loaded into iTunes. Had it nicely synced to my iPad. It would seem without a workaround, any new CD's I buy and load into iTunes will now have to be stored in the cloud in order for my iPad to play them. Sucks big time. I avoid iCloud like the plague.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Same problem here. What is irksome (a mild term compared to what I really want to say) is that when I updated my OS on my iMac to Sierra this weekend, unbeknownst to me, it changed my System Preferences regarding App updates to download AND install without warning. So when I booted up today - boom, I have iTunes 12.7. Is there a lawyer in the house?? Anyway, posting here so I can monitor this thread in case someone figures out a work around. I have my entire CD library loaded into iTunes. Had it nicely synced to my iPad. It would seem without a workaround, any new CD's I buy and load into iTunes will now have to be stored in the cloud in order for my iPad to play them. Sucks big time. I avoid iCloud like the plague.
According to this Apple Support article:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201593
you can copy (manually) songs from your Mac to your iOS devices.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
But, there are plenty of media types iTunes does not accept, MKV files for instance. And, where are these files put? I see there is a “file sharing” item in the IOS device content listing, is that what that is for?

I would update myself, but I am affraid of ****ing up my setup.

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
But, there are plenty of media types iTunes does not accept, MKV files for instance. And, where are these files put? I see there is a “file sharing” item in the IOS device content listing, is that what that is for?

I would update myself, but I am affraid of ****ing up my setup.

If you look at the image I posted, you see a menu just like the one with the older iTunes, that was located at the bottom of the apps tab for your device, where you can upload any kind of file to your desired app, even MKV files.

https://cl.ly/2P2U36201c1A

contempt

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2003
Brooklyn
Can someone please confirm that this is indeed working after updating to the latest iTunes? I don't care about the App sync, but being able to copy films, series, and docs from my Mac to my IOS devices, manually is VERY important to me.

CONFIRMED that you can sync app content. I was worried as I updated without realizing the changes. After clicking on my iPhone/iPad in the menu, you then select 'File Sharing' and then there's about a 5 second delay where everything is blank and then it starts filling in all of the apps on your device that supports adding media.

I too use VLC for all of my media as the TV app sucks (too slow, doesn't work without wifi, etc.).

So all is good. Sucks that I can't download apps from the app store since it's easier to view on desktop, but less bloat is better.

fogeydc

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2017
According to this Apple Support article:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201593
you can copy (manually) songs from your Mac to your iOS devices.

Are you all saying that non-Apple-source music (both ripped CDs & d/l from {gasp!} other sites) can't be put into iTunes, put on playlists, and synced to devices as we've been doing all these years?

And that we'd have to pay for all that iCloud storage so we can sync our "other" music?
Or what?
(BTW I'm using Win10)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.