Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

meebo2_300.png

Meebo has launched their web-based instant messaging client for the iPhone tonight. iPhone users can simply browse to Meebo.com and will automatically be directed to the iPhone-formatted site.

The instant messaging client appears to work very well on the iPhone interface.

Web-based instant messaging clients have gained a lot of interest due to the iPhone's lack of a native instant messaging client. Another notable web IM client comes from Mundo.com at http://iphone.mundu.com which is also well optimized for the iPhone.

Article Link

specops

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
impressive. the interface is a lot cleaner than the beejive client. it's nice; i like it.

agreed, this app just feels and looks like the best atm. Check this out guys its very nice. Only thing it needs is a couple more sorting list options.

TwoSyllables

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
This is a good week for us iPhone users. Yesterday Facebook, today Meebo. Tomorrow ringtones for PPC Macs?

I have to admit, in the past few years I've all but lost the desire to IM, but it's definitely still nice to see it availible for the iPhone. I'm especially glad it's 3rd party so it won't use up my txt messages.

iwitch

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2004
I am so happy. :D I have been waiting with baited breath...This is great! I love that I still have chat logs (which come in handy if there's a network interruption or a problem) and I think moving the active conversations to the top was a great idea. Yay Meebo!

CMTobin

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2007
What I don't like...

First off... I think that this looks absolutely great... Really! What I hate is that, unless you're on wifi you wont be receiving any calls, texts or voicemails while surfing the web or checking for new mail...

Thus, I've changed my mail so that it only checks manually, and I really only want to use this app when I'm on wifi. ERR

drater

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
The bowels of CT
i go to the site, log in, looks great. I try to message someone and it shut the safari down. I have tried it with wifi on and with it off. Still doesn't work. Any suggestions?

desiceltic24

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2007
Meebo

So does Meebo for the iphone utilize your text messages?? I only have 200 SMS so I dont want to waste them on IM.

mergedown

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2007
Well done, but how do I log in to multiple accounts at once? Am I missing something?

Definitely well done, looks intentional, functions well. If I can find out an answer to my above concern, so long Beejive and Mundu.

esco

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2005
Myrtle Beach, SC
does it run in the background? Say I were to press the home button out of safari, make a couple calls, listen to my ipod, etc. could I go back to safari and still have had it running that entire time for others to send messages?

mergedown

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2007
does it run in the background? Say I were to press the home button out of safari, make a couple calls, listen to my ipod, etc. could I go back to safari and still have had it running that entire time for others to send messages?

Like the other clients out there, it stays connected pretty well. Yes, you can exit and do other things and it stays logged in, as long as you don't lose your connection.

I know I could open 2 windows and log in to my Yahoo and AIM accounts, but the others allow you to be logged into different messengers at once (i.e. - trillian).

That's a major feature that is lacking. It also needs the ability to "add friends".

esco

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2005
Myrtle Beach, SC
Like the other clients out there, it stays connected pretty well. Yes, you can exit and do other things and it stays logged in, as long as you don't lose your connection.

I know I could open 2 windows and log in to my Yahoo and AIM accounts, but the others allow you to be logged into different messengers at once (i.e. - trillian).

That's a major feature that is lacking. It also needs the ability to "add friends".

awesome, thanks for the info

iwitch

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2004

You need a Meebo ID to log into all of the IM programs at once.

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
So, I tried this out, this was the first time an IM client has actually worked for me. Very exciting.

EDIT: Sorry, I mean a web based IM client on the iPhone of course.

Espo

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2007
NY
has anyone used flickIM? Its reliable. I tried meebo but it didny show my whole buddy list. However flickim doesnt show away messages. Just a suggestion.

mergedown

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2007
You need a Meebo ID to log into all of the IM programs at once.

Ahhhh, very nice. Thank you!!!!

Any wy to "END" a conversation? Not major, but it'd be nice to have it go away.

It is definitely the best one yet. Still waiting on a native iChat app though!

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
What happens with these web-based IM apps when someone else adds you to their buddylist, does it tell you (like MSN messenger on WM does)?

fozo

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2007
First off, that is an incredible work done from Meebo.
Second, anyone can confirm that it will not use up your 200 SMS limited?
Third, can you register Meebo account from your desktop browser or will it have to be different Meebo account?

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
First off, that is an incredible work done from Meebo.
Second, anyone can confirm that it will not use up your 200 SMS limited?

No, it won't use up any SMS as it's used in Safari over EDGE or WiFi.

Third, can you register Meebo account from your desktop browser or will it have to be different Meebo account?

You can use your usual desktop Meebo account on the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.