Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cardsdoc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
Shaker Hts, OH
I have a SR MBP (see sig). I recently purchased a 4GB kit of OCZ ram from Newegg. In the few days following installing it, I had a couple kernel panics so I ran memtest. It turned up numerous errors. I reseated twice with no change. The original Apple memory had no errors. I returned the memory and purchased the 4GB kit from OWC which arrived today. It is Techworks branded (although I only ordered their house brand). The first thing I did was run memtest and in the first run it started turning up numerous errors so I aborted and reseated the ram. I then successfully ran memtest (3 runs) with no errors. OS X appears to run fine but I really haven't used it much yet.
So what do you guys think? Should I do more testing? Am I good to go? I'm still a little concerned that I got errors the first time even with new ram. Could there be some inherent problem with my MBP? Thanks for the advice.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Until your machine starts behaving strangely I wouldn't worry too much. The first batch of errors on the current chips could have simply been because they weren't quite seated properly. Of course, keep your data well backed up at all times nonetheless. :)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Nup. Memory testing software is intrinsically bad at finding the errors. The single best way of testing your RAM is through trial-and-error and chip swapping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.