Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waleedb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2005
So my 17" 1.8 ghz imac is on the way and i'm pretty excited about it. It was on the sale site on apple store (before the updated ones came out last week) so its got 256 mb of RAM and I need some more for it and I've been shopping around online at crucial, memoryx, and other places. The best deal I've found is this from newegg for two 512 sticks.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145440

I have two questions, though. First, is this stuff compatible with my computer? All the specs seem right to me but other sites ask for your computer model etc. and give you options, I called newegg and they said they can't help me with that. Second, I'll be doing some light graphics stuff and dvd stuff but otherwise not much heavy duty. Will I be good for a while with 1 gb of RAM or should I go for a single 1 gig stick for now to add to my 256 and add another one later?

Thanks for the help. I'm new to macs so I appreciate it.

budpam

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
try it.

The specs look like they meet or exceed what OWC carries for iMacs, so I say go for it. I would imagine NewEgg will let you return it if it doesn't work, but it looks like pretty good memory from all the reviews.

You might want to look at getting a 1GB stick so you can get more later if you do any graphics work. 1GB will not be enough for very long.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.