Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I have been having a weird issue with my memory slots on my Mac Pro 13 core 2010 5,1.
It shows some of the memory slots are empty while they are not.
I have four sets of 2gb (Apple) and four sets 4gb (OWC).
I installed in many different configurations, but every time I go to "About this Mac" and click on the memory tab it shows on the diagram different slots being empty or full. There is no consistency on what slots are full or empty.
Is there any way to fix this? I am not sure if this is an issue with my memory sticks or a software problem.
Thanks for any help.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I have been having a weird issue with my memory slots on my Mac Pro 13 core 2010 5,1.
It shows some of the memory slots are empty while they are not.
I have four sets of 2gb (Apple) and four sets 4gb (OWC).
I installed in many different configurations, but every time I go to "About this Mac" and click on the memory tab it shows on the diagram different slots being empty or full. There is no consistency on what slots are full or empty.
Is there any way to fix this? I am not sure if this is an issue with my memory sticks or a software problem.
Thanks for any help.
Did you checked if all DIMMs are the same type, you can’t mix RDIMMs with UDIMMs.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Did you checked if all DIMMs are the same type, you can’t mix RDIMMs with UDIMMs.
Yes, they are.
I actually swapped and had all the 2gb sticks in one column and the 4gb on another. Zapped the PRAM twice and now I can see all sticks showing up on "About this Mac". I also noticed on the board a red light that went away after the second time I zapped the PRAM.
Not sure what I did there bit I guess it worked.
I will eventually update all the sticks to a larger capacity but was just concerned if I had an issue with the board.
Obrigado!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.