Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you having memory management issues in iOS 13?

• Yes

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • No

Votes: 27 46.6%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 10 17.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blue Hawk

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2017
Germany
I am using Microsoft Edge an all devices now and have also the background refresh enabled for it. But on my iPad Air 2019 the tabs are always reloading when I have only 2 or 3 tabs opened and only 1,2 apps in the background. Same like in Safari... Don’t know what they have done in iOS 13 but everything sucks there.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
I’m on the latest beta and this is still a huge issue. Safari tabs constantly reload. Anytime I switch between Safari and another app (like YouTube) that app reloads. It’s so annoying.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
13.3 XR

it’s not been too bad honestly and I’m generally pretty observational to this sorta thing

I remember the 6 Plus days vividly

maybe I’m lucky ?

Reactions: max2

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Maybe it’s just an iPadOS thing?

I was wondering if its just or mostly an 11 / 11 Pro thing even though I understand they have more ram then their predecessors. Sometimes new hardware with new iOS introduces bugs specific to new hardware. Not trying to throw shade, just speculating since I'm reading lots of people with RAM issues are on the new devices. But could also be that of people on iOS 13, a lot are on new hardware because whenever new hardware comes out naturally people are talking about that more than older devices.

I think 5S was a good example of that back on iOS 7 at launch vs. older devices, even though I only test drove 5S and then returned it. Then again, iOS 7 was a total mess all together and I was on iOS 7.1 beta for the longest time because of 7.0.x crappiness even on my 5. Trying to think of other examples -- I am generally on the latest and greatest but have skipped a few (skipped 8 for X which was still A11 just repackaged, 5S because I knew I'd get touchID in a future iPhone, and 11 iterations so far because I've been relatively happy with my XR and holding out funds for iPhone 9, 12, or some other one maybe if XR keeps humming along and not much is tempting me)

My iPad Pro 2017 12.9 on iPadOS 13.3 seems to be humming along as well. And Mini5 on 13.3. I think I see it lose track of things a bit more quickly than when it was on iOS 11.3.1 before that, but I've had Youtube and multiple tabs left open on Safari and come back to them fine after a day or two in many cases

and iPadOS 13 pros has outweighed cons leapfrogging from iOS 11 in my experience, ymmv

Reactions: futureisfilm

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
It’s pretty much the worst on any phone I’ve had in the last 5 years. I can’t even leave a simple web page for a second without it having to reload. IOS 13 is puke.

Reactions: Marlon DLTH :)

chriscl

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
Stuttgart, Germany
I frequently get this behaviour on my iPad Pro 12.9“ 3rd gen.

A couple of really, really, annoying examples:

Apollo, the Reddit Client - often, scrolling through a lengthy subreddit for several minutes, I leave the iPad for a few minutes (so it locks the screen) I unlock, and Apollo has been purged from memory completely. Note, in this scenario, I don’t minimise the app...I just leave the iPad, and it still kills it.

Similar behaviour with other apps that you’d use for longer periods of time, for example, Drivetribe, Tapatalk, and Pinterest. And also Safari, and most apps are completely killed if you so much as dare to open the camera, even by accident.

This behaviour was never a thing in iOS 12. it’s gotten considerably worse since iOS 13 and the multiple updates to the new iPadOS have made no difference. Either the new iPadOS actually needs more memory than the iPad Pro has, or they’ve done a horrible job trying to optimise the new operating system.

iPad Pro is supposed to be a professional-level product and iPadOS is supposed to be a capable multitasking operating system. With these significant issues with iPadOS pretty much ruining the user experience, it’s clear that unless this new behaviour is „by design“ (and that is idiotic, if so) then Apple have some significant work to do, to address these problems.

And given their inability to fix some of the widely reported issues with email in iOS 13, I am not holding my breath!

futureisfilm

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2016
I think this is the issue specific to 11/11Pro.

Im having this same issue and I have iPhone XR. Sad day ?
[automerge]1588092026[/automerge]
"iOS 13 apps are not managing their memory properly" would be a more accurate statement.

iOS closes suspended apps and sends out low memory warnings to apps based you your (the users) request on the system (not exactly managing). If an app doesn't respond to low memory warning by freeing as much memory as possible by purging assets then the system will terminate the app, there is no other option aside from decline your foreground request and obviously that doesn't work. Point is memory management is function of the apps.

This is a issue now because in iOS 13 there was a change to UIKit with the ways app life cycles operate (to provide multi window support). Devs are still learning how it works and apps that appear to work aren't likely optimized yet. To complicate matters matters devs are supporting iOS 12's UIApplicationDelegate for iOS 12 user support.

All we can do is be patient as devs get a handle on this. It seems like many of complaints in the thread of been patched. It will take some devs quite a while to really optimize their apps life cycle behavior.

Im still having these issues. Especially with YouTube. Has it been patched yet or I’m I having a different issue?

Last edited:

futureisfilm

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2016
The 11 series should have been:

iPhone 11 - 6GB RAM
iPhone 11 Pro - 8GB RAM
iPhone 11 Pro Max - 8GB RAM

They could keep going with this setup through the 12, 13 and 14 models and just added features.

With all the above said, I still love using my XS Max I love the attention to detail Apple pay to the aesthetics of their devices, along with the quality of the apps in iOS, they are a cut above their Android counterparts, and the Apple Watch and iPad are by far the best in their categories.

Apple really just need to cut the crap and out more RAM in iPhones and make iOS more multitasking friendly.

I agree that the next round of iPhones should have more RAM. I’d double whatever the current iPhones have if I was Apple.

Also, on battery life, you have to remember that one, Apple’s phone I believe have smaller batteries then the other phones you mentioned and Apple’s screen I also believe have a higher refresh rate. I’d love Apple with their next redesign of the iPhone to add a bigger battery for their Pro models. With their battery management and a bigger battery it’ll definitely be better.

The lack of consistency update to update is an issue.

I have been using iOS since iOS 6, and yeah, it has had some huge changes, some of which have been incredibly jarring, although you’d be shocked to know that this is not the worst it has been, the transition from iOS 6 to iOS 7 was by the worst, fraught with bugs and horrible inconsistencies and major changes in functions, it was confusing and the UI looked off.

Hopefully Apple will use iOS 14 and 15 to fix what they have done in iOS 13, it feels like they need to slowdown and work longer on bugs.

I think they are overloaded right now. Getting ready to switch to ARM and adding Desktop feature to iPadOS. In the end it’ll be better but I wouldn’t doubt that’s why these issues are STILL happening. They are focused on the future and not today.

Safari is worse than ever. I’m using the latest iPad Pro. I have 7 tabs open. Every time I switch from one tab to another the page refreshes. It’s ridiculous.

Im trying Opera on iPhone to see if that’s better.

iOS 13 is designed for 6GB RAM.

I don’t believe that. But I do think the new iPhones this year needs more RAM.

Apollo, the Reddit Client - often, scrolling through a lengthy subreddit for several minutes, I leave the iPad for a few minutes (so it locks the screen) I unlock, and Apollo has been purged from memory completely. Note, in this scenario, I don’t minimise the app...I just leave the iPad, and it still kills it.

Similar behaviour with other apps that you’d use for longer periods of time, for example, Drivetribe, Tapatalk, and Pinterest. And also Safari, and most apps are completely killed if you so much as dare to open the camera, even by accident.

This behaviour was never a thing in iOS 12. it’s gotten considerably worse since iOS 13 and the multiple updates to the new iPadOS have made no difference. Either the new iPadOS actually needs more memory than the iPad Pro has, or they’ve done a horrible job trying to optimise the new operating system.

iPad Pro is supposed to be a professional-level product and iPadOS is supposed to be a capable multitasking operating system. With these significant issues with iPadOS pretty much ruining the user experience, it’s clear that unless this new behaviour is „by design“ (and that is idiotic, if so) then Apple have some significant work to do, to address these problems.

And given their inability to fix some of the widely reported issues with email in iOS 13, I am not holding my breath!

I totally agree. They need to fix this.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains

Starting with 13.2 RAM management really changed. Those of us in beta complained loudly. It has been up and down ever since but has never been "fixed".

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Granted all my devices (mini 5, SE1, XR when I had it before selling, 12.9 2017 iPad Pro) are on iOS 13.3 and only my SE2 is on 13.4, but it seems like if its not a hardware difference (not sure why it would be, A13 and same 3GB powering a lower res screen than XR was on A12/3GB) seems iOS 13.4 (cant speak to 13.4.1) has worse Ram management than 13.3

Tons of times in the past couple weeks of having SE2, safari reloads the page without too many tabs and has that banner. Didn't see it as often on iOS 13.3, and really only on my XR every once in a while. Maybe didn't use Se1 as much and iPads handle it differently on iPADOS, not sure.

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
I'm having severe memory management problems as well. Every 2 days on this iPhone 7 I have to clear the ram, I can't even switch to Safari without Spotify choking while a song is playing.

Marlon DLTH :)

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2020
Same for me. I'm on iOS 13.5 and it sucks. I feel RAM managment on my iPad Air with 1 Gb of ram and iOS 12 surprisingly better

Reactions: Dekema2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.