Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Buggman

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
Hello All,

I recently upgraded to OS X 10.9 before installing 2x2GB of memory into my Early 2008 Mac Pro which would make for a total of 10GB RAM.

The configuration involves splitting the original 2x1GB – one on each side and into slot 1 – with the new 2x2GB memory in slots 2 and 3 on each side.

However, for some reason, as I check my total RAM, it shows as only having 6GB of memory. Additionally, as I check System Information, the second memory slots for both sides are showing as empty.

Is this something I've caused with my configuration or would this entail a bigger issue? I have included a screenshot to show my problem. DIMM2 in Riser A and B should both be showing and additional 2GB.

http://i.imgur.com/FYv7aLD.png

Last edited:

The Buggman

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
I've tried swapping the sticks already. If there's nothing of which I'm unaware that would cause these slots to show as empty in this configuration, I can only imagine the slots themselves are bad. But, it's a little too coincidental.

Both of the second slots on each side certainly wouldn't suddenly go bad. Also, both 2x2GB sets of RAM were purchased separately. The original set occupies one side and the new set occupies the other.

I could try moving the sticks from slots 2 into slots 4. Would that cause any unforeseen troubles?

westrock2000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
Attaching working image

Hello All,

I recently upgraded to OS X 10.9 before installing 2x2GB of memory into my Early 2008 Mac Pro which would make for a total of 10GB RAM.

The configuration involves splitting the original 2x1GB – one on each side and into slot 1 – with the new 2x2GB memory in slots 2 and 3 on each side.

Attachments

• FYv7aLD.png
    FYv7aLD.png
    230.5 KB · Views: 781

westrock2000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
When I first got my Mac it had 2x512MB and 2x2GB and I tried the same thing you are doing to see how the risers worked and the same thing happened. In my case I did 2GB+512MB on each side.

You have to keep like values as pairs. So put one pair of 2x2GB on each side. And then put the 2x1GB on one side (doesn't matter which). It should work after that.

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
According to Apple on http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/0/MA430/en_US/MacPro_Early2008_MemoryDIMM_DIY.pdf

The Mac Pro (Early 2008) computer has two memory riser cards with a total of 8 memory slots. On each card, the slots are arranged as two banks of two slots each. The computer comes with a minimum of 2 GB of memory, installed as a pair of 1 GB fully buffered, dual inline memory modules (FB-DIMMs) in two of the DIMM slots. Additional pairs of 1 GB, 2 GB, or 4 GB FB-DIMMs can be installed in the open DIMM slots, as illustrated below. Maximum memory is 32 GB.
DIMMs must be installed as pairs of identical size and type, from the same vendor.

So you will want 2 + 2 + 1 + 1 and 2 + 2 + empty + empty

The Buggman

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
Thanks to all who replied.

After trying several different configurations with various results (going from showing 6GB to 3GB to 6GB and then to 8GB), I believe I have determined that the original 2x1GB are no longer compatible with the extra 2x2GB in place. I now have 2x2GB on each riser.

None of the memory is corrupt, but I believe I must retire the original 2x1GB and settle on 8GB of total memory instead of the desired 10GB... (unless I end up with a second pair of 1GB sticks to even out each side). Thanks again for your assistance.

The Buggman

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
I did. I know the sticks to be functioning, but the 2x1GB were failing to be recognized. I'll definitely try again in a bit, however. I cannot remember if they were occupying slots 1 & 2 or 3 & 4. Perhaps that will be what makes the difference[?].

The Buggman

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
Well I would love to have come back and said how there's no way it was my fault. I would have mentioned how the guide fails to speak of the importance of size order in the risers' slots and spoke of how I, alone, outsmarted the machine in triumphant determination.

Unfortunately, none of this is true. There is no importance to size order when pairing the slots on the risers. The blunder was my own. In my early-morning ineptitude, I did not fully regard the difference between Riser A and Riser B. Thus, the issue has been resolved as provided by the obligatory RTFM platitude.

Thank you for your persistence and devotion to the matter, DanielCoffey.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.