Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cobra521

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
FL
I've spent a couple of hours trying to get memtest86 to boot from USB without any luck. If the boot sequence recognizes the USB flash memory stick, it complains it has the wrong version of MacOS. If I redo the memory stick using Terminal commands or balenaEtcher, it often isn't recognized at all.

I've done the "It's OK to boot from another device" thing - no help.

I'm using the latest Ventura.

Obviously I'm doing something incorrectly...

So here's the question: what's the best way to run a good memory tester on my 7,1?

Tom

cobra521

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
FL
After this message, the boot option isn't available.

Here's a screen shot of the "wrong version" message:
MacOSVersionWrong.jpg

cobra521

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
FL
flat,

I got the software at that site. The only video I could find was the Windows one, but I followed their Mac instructions to the letter. The result was the same: "version of macOS..."

I could look at the flash drive with Finder and it looked OK to me. It seemed to have three options in the /BOOT/ folder, and two EFI options showed up (in addition to the built-in Mac boot drive) when I held the option key during boot. I tried each EFI option, rebooting between, and got the same result after each selection. Selecting the internal boot drive gave a normal boot.

I then tried the USB flash drive in a USB port directly on the back of the Mac Pro; exact same result.

Sigh...

Tom

flat4

Contributor
Jul 14, 2009
I have used Hirem's boot on my mac and I believe it has a memory test program, you could try that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.