Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nick9871

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2006
Not sure which path to take.

I currently have 1 gig (2 512's) in my Mac Pro and I can really notice performance drops when using Matlab(I know I know) in parallels, FCP, and especially Aperture.

I am on a bit of a budget. Should I get a 2 gig OWC kit and then have 3 gig's, or should I get a 1 gig kit and save $100 bucks and just run 2 gigs for a while.

Guess I should probably just bite the bullet, eat cereal for a month and get the 2 gig kit.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
If you can afford it, I'd say go for the more RAM. There is a point of diminishing returns for what you're doing, of course, but 3GB is a pretty solid amount.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
My god your running those apps on 1gb :eek:

Get the 2GB extra - trust me you will need it. Even with 3 GB (my config at the moment) Apeture is a evil resource hog - so much so I've switched to Adobe LightRoom.

slicedbread

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2006
My god your running those apps on 1gb :eek:

Get the 2GB extra - trust me you will need it. Even with 3 GB (my config at the moment) Apeture is a evil resource hog - so much so I've switched to Adobe LightRoom.

I found that too: was running a parallels VM with 1gb ram, I was left with 1gb in OSX. Loaded up LR, and my system TANKED. HDD was thrashing like hell, all responsivity went, was cut off mid skype call, and I had to wait for LR to finish thrashing before I could quit it and get control back!

Ram Ram Ram!!

NB. to OP: get as much ram as you can afford now. However since there are alot of ram slots on a Mac pro, you have alot of flexibility concerning future upgrades. Its not like one upgrade now and you max out your slots.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.