Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MizzTree

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2010
I have a question concerning memory upgrades on the Mac-Mini 1.83GHz C2D. Some specs state that the 2GBs of DDR2 PC5300 I currently have installed is the maximum memory that the system can handle. There are other sites, though, that state that the system can actually support up to a 4GB kit of the same memory. Has anyone out there had any experience with upgrading to 4GB, and if so, can the system really make use of the extra memory, enough so as to make it worth the additional $120 or so dollars necessary to accomplish this?

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
What you need to do, first, is decide if more RAM is necessary.

Run through your routine of daily tasks. If you've been using your computer for a few hours, then that's well enough.

Go into Applications>Utilities>Activity Monitor and click the Memory tab near the bottom.

If your Page Outs is MORE than your Page Ins, then you may notice better performance with more ram. Otherwise, there's no real improvement to be made. That model is on the slow side as it was one of the first Intel Mac Mini's.

2GB is the maximum, though, so if you are in need of more ram you're likely going to have to get a new machine or just use less processes simultaneously.

It's an old machine with a horrible GPU and an aging CPU.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
If your Mini came from the factory with the C2D installed (i.e. it wasn't a user upgrade from a CD to a C2D) it will support 4 GB installed although the 32-bit OS will only use a little over 3 GB due to chipset limitations....plenty of folks have done this upgrade, Google is your friend.

MizzTree

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2010
On That Old Google Relationship...

If your Mini came from the factory with the C2D installed (i.e. it wasn't a user upgrade from a CD to a C2D) it will support 4 GB installed although the 32-bit OS will only use a little over 3 GB due to chipset limitations....plenty of folks have done this upgrade, Google is your friend.

I appreciate all the comments made concerning such a memory upgrade. My hopes are to hear, specifically, from those who've actually done this with their own M-M 1.83GHz Intel C2D, to see what sort of performance they've actually had. I realize that there are several commentators on Google who've said they've done the upgrade with the 3GB outcome, but since I do not know or trust those folk the way I've learned to trust the good Mac-users here, I'll risk an occasional spanking to hear what you have to say on any subject of importance (important, at least, to me) :).

My reason for considering the RAM upgrade is that I need to decide if spending the extra money will make the Mac Mini more appealing. Especially if I post it for resell, which, if I do, will be fairly soon, within the next week or two. It is, after all, as Mr. Cheeto so succinctly put it :))), "...an old machine with a horrible GPU and an aging CPU." I've already upgraded to the Apple superdrive, as well as switching out the 80GB (5400 RPM) HDD for a 320GB (7200 RPM) Western Digital Scorpio Black. For the system software, I will not only leave working copies Leopard, Snow Leopard, iLife '09, and iWork '09, but also .DMG files of each so the buyer can burn his or her own installation disks, if so desired. (I also have a slew of other very appealing- and quite expensive- software I can leave installed, as well.) I figured with decent enough upgrades, it might help a potential buyer overlook the flaws so obviously inherent in the system :))).

I should probably mention that I can get a new Crucial 4GB kit- for only $45- from a friend who sells bulk computer supplies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.