Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KrazyKanuck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2020
Oh boy let the fun begin. Imac arrived today memory is on its way.
So did you guys use the 9to5 Mac method without success?
The 9to5 method worked to restore the speed to 2667 MHz, but I believe that they would have lost dual channel using that arrangement. So everything would have looked fine in System Report, but the memory would have been functioning in a sub-optimal way. I don't remember them actually testing that in the video, so I wouldn't want to say one way or another. But this seems to be what's happened to a few of us on this thread when we try to pair Apple OEM RAM with compatible after market RAM.

Reactions: Fred Zed

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
The 9to5 method worked to restore the speed to 2667 MHz, but I believe that they would have lost dual channel using that arrangement. So everything would have looked fine in System Report, but the memory would have been functioning in a sub-optimal way. I don't remember them actually testing that in the video, so I wouldn't want to say one way or another. But this seems to be what's happened to a few of us on this thread when we try to pair Apple OEM RAM with compatible after market RAM.

Yes you’re right it would appear it would lose dual channel with the 9to5 Mac method since the memory won’t be paired.
How do recommend i try this ? Use Geekbench and if so what values to compare the before and after memory upgrade? Cheers

Reactions: KrazyKanuck

KrazyKanuck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2020
Yes you’re right it would appear it would lose dual channel with the 9to5 Mac method since the memory won’t be paired.
How do recommend i try this ? Use Geekbench and if so what values to compare the before and after memory upgrade? Cheers
What configuration did you order? I would run Geekbench with the stock RAM configuration. Run it again with your new RAM and Apple's OEM RAM, but make sure that you have the new RAM in one DIMM and the OEM in another. And then run it again with just your new RAM in place of Apple's OEM RAM. Apologies if this is old news to you, but just make sure that Finder isn't indexing files or that other processes are running in the background when you're running Geekbench.

Here are some Geekbench scores for iMac20,1:
And here are some for iMac20,2:

I'm not sure whey there are to different models. I think this is the first year that the 27-inch iMacs have two different model identifiers. Maybe its the nano glass, maybe it's the additional storage module in the higher capacity BTOs. You can look through these to get an idea of what you should be scoring (you can click on the link in each score to view system details). Having more than 32GB of RAM doesn't seem to make a noticeable difference in these scores.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
What configuration did you order? I would run Geekbench with the stock RAM configuration. Run it again with your new RAM and Apple's OEM RAM, but make sure that you have the new RAM in one DIMM and the OEM in another. And then run it again with just your new RAM in place of Apple's OEM RAM. Apologies if this is old news to you, but just make sure that Finder isn't indexing files or that other processes are running in the background when you're running Geekbench.

Here are some Geekbench scores for iMac20,1:
And here are some for iMac20,2:

I'm not sure whey there are to different models. I think this is the first year that the 27-inch iMacs have two different model identifiers. Maybe its the nano glass, maybe it's the additional storage module in the higher capacity BTOs. You can look through these to get an idea of what you should be scoring (you can click on the link in each score to view system details). Having more than 32GB of RAM doesn't seem to make a noticeable difference in these scores.

I ordered the crucial brand, pic attached.

Thanks.
dc58ae3c43305561626ae6c59a53e6b4.jpg

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
I have the same issue after getting my new 2020 iMac today, same Crucial RAM (CT2K8G4S266M). Sounds like we have a few options.

1) Run 16-16-4-4 and lose dual channel.
2) Run in dual channel but at 2133 MHz
3) Run just 2 sticks of aftermarket at 2666 MHz

I'm leaning towards option 2. I'd rather have the extra 8GB memory at the slower speed, I'm not sure I will notice any difference in actual usage.

wavesm

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2019
I have the same issue after getting my new 2020 iMac today, same Crucial RAM (CT2K8G4S266M). Sounds like we have a few options.

I'm leaning towards option 2. I'd rather have the extra 8GB memory at the slower speed, I'm not sure I will notice any difference in actual usage.

Probably in your case, between 24GB at 2133 and 16GB at 2666, you are right with option 2). However anyone that got 32GB or above, I think would be better with option 3). If you can I would buy another 2 of those.

KrazyKanuck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2020

Sorry to hear that. Your approach seems sensible, and it really depends on your usage. You've got both sets on hand, so you've got options moving forward. I just ended up ordering another set of the Crucial RAM for four identical sticks, and all are working as expected and playing nice together.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
Ok so my geek bench scores with stock 8GB were 1202 and 5832 on my tier 2 iMac.

I installed the addition 2 crucial 16GB using the 9to5 Mac way, slots 1 and 2,16GB. Slots 3 and 4, 4GB.

Clock speeds of ram hasn’t changed and my geekbench score is now 1299 and 5800. So about the same as before.

Am I all good then, or shall I try and just use the two 16GB crucial in slots where the original Apple ram was?

Edit. Interesting tidbit the About this Mac information window wouldn’t show the clock speed of the ram like it normally does. It just showed 40GB. However within additional information screen it showed all ram as correct speed.

Last edited:

KrazyKanuck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2020
Ok so my geek bench scores with stock 8GB were 1202 and 5832 on my tier 2 iMac.

I installed the addition 2 crucial 16GB using the 9to5 Mac way, slots 1 and 2,16GB. Slots 3 and 4, 4GB.

Clock speeds of ram hasn’t changed and my geekbench score is now 1299 and 5800. So about the same as before.

Am I all good then, or shall I try and just use the two 16GB crucial in slots where the original Apple ram was?

Edit. Interesting tidbit the About this Mac information window wouldn’t show the clock speed of the ram like it normally does. It just showed 40GB
Thanks for the update! I would still try it with the 16GB where the Apple RAM originally was. You should be into the 6000s with you're multi-core score.

KrazyKanuck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2020
Ok an update. I removed all ram and just installed the two Crucial 16GB in slots 2 and 4 where the original ram was located. Ran geekbench and results 1333 and 6899.
Thanks for checking that. Yeah, that sore is in line with expectations. That difference is your dropping dual channel, as you noted earlier.

derekg

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2010
South FL, USA
Sorry, haven't difficulty following all this as I'm not that technical. What was the final recommendation? I bought the extra 32GB from OWC and had plan to add it to Apple's 8GB for a total of 40GB. My needs are relatively basic.

anthony13

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2012
I'm in a particularly unique situation as I have two stock Apple 16GB sticks, and want to add two aftermarket 16GB sticks for a total of 64GB of ram. since they will all be 16GB sticks, I wonder if I will have the same issues.

KrazyKanuck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2020
I'm in a particularly unique situation as I have two stock Apple 16GB sticks, and want to add two aftermarket 16GB sticks for a total of 64GB of ram. since they will all be 16GB sticks, I wonder if I will have the same issues.
I wonder too. I think that the only compatibility issues we've encountered on here have been with stock 4GB sticks. Not to say that the stock 8GB sticks won't also have the same issues.

Last edited:

KrazyKanuck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2020
Sorry, haven't difficulty following all this as I'm not that technical. What was the final recommendation? I bought the extra 32GB from OWC and had plan to add it to Apple's 8GB for a total of 40GB. My needs are relatively basic.
Well, it depends. If your needs are basic, as you say, you may just want to remove the Apple RAM and install the OWC in its place. Use Activity Monitor to keep an eye on your memory pressure to see if you're using your swap. It used to be the case (back in the days of mechanical HDD) that if you started to eat into your swap significantly you knew that you needed to add more memory. But if you find that this is only happening occasionally, then you might be okay just leaving it alone since the SSD speeds are so good these days and that may suffice for your usage.

All that we know right now is that we have evidence that there is an issue mixing Apple's stock RAM with aftermarket RAM in this year's 27-inch iMacs. Perhaps it's a firmware bug, perhaps it's by design. We don't really know why we can't mix them and keep both 2667 MHz and dual channel. Apple's RAM is obviously fully compatible with the new iMacs, as are the 3rd party RAM options recommended elsewhere in these forums, it's just when mixing them that we're encountering issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fred Zed and derekg

NorCalZman

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2010
Good info in here. I am learning. So if we have any number in Swap used that means that the system has run out of RAM and is using the hard drive? my 2011 iMac has been doing this for years. I will be sure to order a lot more RAM for the 2020!

KrazyKanuck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2020
Good info in here. I am learning. So if we have any number in Swap used that means that the system has run out of RAM and is using the hard drive? my 2011 iMac has been doing this for years. I will be sure to order a lot more RAM for the 2020!
Exactly. Swap aka page file (more or less). Temporarily storing RAM on the HDD/SSD. Some swap usage is usually inevitable once in a while, but if it's a consistent, day-after-day thing then it may be an indication that you have insufficient memory for your use case. When it was a 7200RPM mechanical drive used for page or swap it was more of an issue, but with Apple's SSDs it is much less so, especially for more casual users.

derekg

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2010
South FL, USA
Well, it depends. If your needs are basic, as you say, you may just want to remove the Apple RAM and install the OWC in its place. Use Activity Monitor to keep an eye on your memory pressure to see if you're using your swap. It used to be the case (back in the days of mechanical HDD) that if you started to eat into your swap significantly you knew that you needed to add more memory. But if you find that this is only happening occasionally, then you might be okay just leaving it alone since the SSD speeds are so good these days and that may suffice for your usage.

All that we know right now is that we have evidence that there is an issue mixing Apple's stock RAM with aftermarket RAM in this year's 27-inch iMacs. Perhaps it's a firmware bug, perhaps it's by design. We don't really know why we can't mix them and keep both 2667 MHz and dual channel. Apple's RAM is obviously fully compatible with the new iMacs, as are the 3rd party RAM options recommended elsewhere in these forums, it's just when mixing them that we're encountering issues.

Thank you. I will give that a try. I think 32GB should be sufficient for my needs.

DrRadon

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2008
I have noticed this problem on mine too.

I have always upgraded the RAM myself on iMacs, and my 2019 model has two 4GB Apple sticks and two 16GB Apple sticks, and registers 40GB at 2667 MHz without an issue.

My 2020 model is stuck at 2133 MHz.

This is despite them both using Crucial RAM of the same specs, in addition to the Apple RAM.

I've played around with the sticks and these are my findings:

The 2020 iMac registers 2133 MHz using the same RAM sticks that the 2019 registers at 2667 MHz.

I took the sticks out of the 2019 model and placed them in the 2020 model, in the correct formation, and they reported 2133 MHz. So the 2020 model is more particular about RAM.

The 2020 iMac has a slightly different RAM arrangement:

View attachment 942848
2020 iMac (above)

View attachment 942855
2019 iMac (above)

This change is probably tied to the implementation of the T2 controller?

Putting all four 16GB Crucial sticks in the 2020 model still registered 2133 MHz.

This surprised me as they are all the same brand and spec. So I rearranged the sticks to what to me seems to be the 'wrong' way - my inherited 2019 Crucial sticks in Slots 1 and 2 (rather than 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 as you would normally expect), and the newly-bought Crucial sticks in Slots 3 and 4, and low and behold it is now running at 2667 MHz and 64GB.

The 2020 iMac is fussy even between different batches of the same RAM manufacturer and specs, not just between Hynix and Crucial. Get around this by keeping each batch/manufacturer to its own channel.

I am not sure what (if any) performance hit will come by mixing DIMMs in this way. I have always been told to install them in pairs in the first and third, or second and fourth, slots.

Would this suggest "no dual channel at all" unless you have Ram of the same "batch" (?) of the same manufacturer?

KrazyKanuck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2020
Would this suggest "no dual channel at all" unless you have Ram of the same "batch" (?) of the same manufacturer?
This is what the early reports suggest. You can either have 2667 speed or dual channel, but not both when you mix Apple's OEM RAM with compatible 3rd party RAM. I don't know if "batch" necessarily matters. I initially ordered a single pair of Crucial RAM to augment the stock RAM, encountered the above issues, then ordered another batch of the same Crucial RAM. Right now everything is working as expected. The post you cite seems to suggest that batch does make a difference, but what "batch" really means for this context is still up in the air.

Reactions: DQ11

DrRadon

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2008
This is what the early reports suggest. You can either have 2667 speed or dual channel, but not both when you mix Apple's OEM RAM with compatible 3rd party RAM. I don't know if "batch" necessarily matters. I initially ordered a single pair of Crucial RAM to augment the stock RAM, encountered the above issues, then ordered another batch of the same Crucial RAM. Right now everything is working as expected. The post you cite seems to suggest that batch does make a difference, but what "batch" really means...?

I don´t have the iMac here yet. But i already got 32gb CT2K16G4S266M RAM by Crucial sitting here waiting.

Are we certain T2 dos not work some magic here were "no dual channel" is not showing any drawbacks? I am not looking forward to spending another 130-140€ on 32gb extra right now because "later it could be a different batch". W00t?!

KrazyKanuck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2020
I don´t have the iMac here yet. But i already got 32gb CT2K16G4S266M RAM by Crucial sitting here waiting.

Are we certain T2 dos not work some magic here were "no dual channel" is not showing any drawbacks? I am not looking forward to spending another 130-140€ on 32gb extra right now because "later it could be a different batch". W00t?!
I feel your pain. Your question about the T2 is beyond my level of knowledge, but a few of us have run benchmarks confirming a performance penalty when running both Apple OEM RAM and 3rd party RAM, and which seem to be independent of the particular brand of 3rd party RAM.

DrRadon

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2008
Have you tried booting into windows to see if there is a difference with the different OS?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.