Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sgmorr

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2005
DFW area Texas
Do I need a MemoryStick or a MemoryStick Pro for my Sony CyberShot DSC-W7? I'll be doing mostly just casual family and travel photography with it. Thanks.

Edit: Maybe the question is do I need Pro or High Speed?

super_kev

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
USofA
Back in the day I had a Sony with a regular MemoryStick and then a MS Pro. To be honest, I didn't notice a difference with it. Save your money and go with the regular MS.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
sgmorr said:
Do I need a MemoryStick or a MemoryStick Pro for my Sony CyberShot DSC-W7? I'll be doing mostly just casual family and travel photography with it. Thanks.

Edit: Maybe the question is do I need Pro or High Speed?
The main decision between Pro or not is capacity >128MB, so I'll focus on your second question, speed.

The main thing speed buys you IMHO is a quicker shot-to-shot rate, particularly with high res cameras. When taking pictures of fast moving subjects (kids, pets, ...) you may want that extra responsiveness. I know it has certainly allowed me to get shots I know I wouldn't have with my slower media.

Note that even if the media itself is faster, it doesn't matter if the camera doesn't take advantage of the extra speed. You're not guaranteed that it will.

B

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
To super_Kev

that "back in the day" the sony cam you bought have not been designed to take advantage of the higher speed pro cards, even two years ago only about 2 or 3 models were actually designed for it.

To balamw

currently even camera's such as the W7 will take advantage of the faster read write speeds that those pro cards offer as sony designed the processor that way.

the life of a camera sales man is one of glory ... LOL ;)

sgmorr

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2005
DFW area Texas
Thanks for the responses. I guess I started off with some terminology problems in my original question. I now realize that all Memory Sticks are "Pro". Some are just "Pro" and some are "High Speed". So, as your answers stated, the question is really one of speed.

As an aside, is there any reason to consider getting a Pro Duo instead of just a Pro stick? I know that the Duo is smaller and will work in the PSP handheld gaming device. And the Duo must fit in an adapter to go into most Sony cameras. Any functionality differences between the Pro and Pro Duo? Thanks.

wiseguy27

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2005
USA
sgmorr said:
Thanks for the responses. I guess I started off with some terminology problems in my original question. I now realize that all Memory Sticks are "Pro". Some are just "Pro" and some are "High Speed". So, as your answers stated, the question is really one of speed.

As an aside, is there any reason to consider getting a Pro Duo instead of just a Pro stick? I know that the Duo is smaller and will work in the PSP handheld gaming device. And the Duo must fit in an adapter to go into most Sony cameras. Any functionality differences between the Pro and Pro Duo? Thanks.
As far as I know, there's no difference except for the size - of course, the adapter for the Duo makes it useful in more kinds of devices than the regular (big size) stick. :) Get the Duo to have more flexibility for the future.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
wiseguy27 said:
As far as I know, there's no difference except for the size - of course, the adapter for the Duo makes it useful in more kinds of devices than the regular (big size) stick. :) Get the Duo to have more flexibility for the future.

The Pro Duo's come in two models, the standard ProDuo and the High Speed ProDuo. If you camera can take advantage of the increased speed (my DSC-T1 can) then it is worth it as i noticed a speed difference in how long it took between shots, also at least with the DSC-T1 to do 30fps video you had to have the High speed model.

I say check your product manual, if you can use the extra speed then by all means get the high speed pro duo, but if you cannot use it then its just a waste of the extra cash. Last i saw the high speed pro duo sticks were $50 to $100 more expensive than their pro duo standard counterpart. Sony is the only brand that makes the high speed models, SanDisk only makes the standard speed. Check SonyStyle.com and search for produo, you will see the high speed and standard models there.

Ed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.