Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Nice to meet you here, Allan.
What are your thoughts about this?

If the following is not useful then please have me excused :)

After experimenting with porting a newly released Windows 10 theme I wanted to see if adding a gradient to a dark theme would have any effect.. While it's not a "real and easy solution" it might just work. Further inspections will reveal where the colors also applies.. I'm thinking that once I relaunch SystemUIServer or login again that the menubar items on the right side of the menubar will change too.

And so my thought is that you can have a gradient fill or any color you wish for the menubar logo with some limitations. I would think that the classic Apple-logo as seen in older MacOS versions is possible with some trickery that I might have an idea for. You can add multiple Gradients for instance. But there is no real stop/start for these gradients. Perhaps if the Apple Logo asset (in Assets.car) is changed accordingly (don't know how yet) that the color and or gradient will produce any Apple logo you'd like.

example-menubar.png

NordicBoots

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2019
Wow! That sounds absolutely great, Allan.
I can't wait! ;)
By the way: Can I help you with this?

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Wow! That sounds absolutely great, Allan.
I can't wait! ;)
By the way: Can I help you with this?

Yeah, it did sound great.. sadly I can't get more than one gradient to stick at a time. Or one color.

It does look like some kind of actual patchint is needed if one would like more than just a 2-step gradient.

You can add shadows, inner shadows and glow to the logo but not much like the days of past.

The Apple logo in Assets.car is really tricky to have comply with anything beyond size and the added glare. Even if splitting this logo asset up into bits like for a classic MacOS logo, then there still will be a 2-step gradient to have to deal with. That's atleast what I've come up with for now.

About the help... thank you. I've had a look at the source code for the linked app above in this thread and appears that I have some learning to do. Getting ThemeEngine to open files without crashing on 10.15.3 was a step in the right direction for me :) I'll reach out for sure if I need testers if and when I learn something new about coding and injection/hooking onto macOS.

NordicBoots

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2019
It's a pity. At my configuration, the Apple logo disappears as soon as I drag it to the dedicated position.
Thanks for this hint anyway!

asdfnose123

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2019
I can't. It says:
The document “Assets.car” could not be saved. You don’t have permission.
What can I do?

organicCPU

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
What can I do?
First make a copy of Assets.car for backup purpose. Make a second copy and work on that copy of Assets.car somewhere, where you've got all privileges, save it and then copy it back to replace the original Assets.car. You'll get asked for your admin credentials.
If that doesn't work, depending on your macOS version, it could be necessary to disable SIP while replacing the Assets.car file.

asdfnose123

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2019
First make a copy of Assets.car for backup purpose. Make a second copy and work on that copy of Assets.car somewhere, where you've got all privileges, save it and then copy it back to replace the original Assets.car. You'll get asked for your admin credentials.
If that doesn't work, depending on your macOS version, it could be necessary to disable SIP while replacing the Assets.car file.
But in the menu bar... the apple logo is still black. but in ThemeEngine, it has a B&W or Greyscale.
1596926921825.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 6.45.15 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 6.39.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 6.39.29 PM.png
    131.5 KB · Views: 143
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 6.45.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 6.45.15 PM.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 130

organicCPU

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
But in the menu bar... the apple logo is still black.
Did you do a reboot? Could macOS have reverted your file automatically? Are you sure, that you've been disabling System Integrity Protection (SIP), before copying back you modified Assets.car to its original place?

NordicBoots

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2019
Because of those restrictions for the Apple logo in the Asset.car file, I am currently using GeekTool with a colourful Apple logo instead. This makes me smile again. ;)

Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 11.43.49.png

Reactions: organicCPU

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2022
Okay, well never seen that. I'm cautious as that can violate the rules of Apple. Just taking precautions for me, not affecting you.

NordicBoots

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2019
Because of those restrictions for the Apple logo in the Asset.car file, I am currently using GeekTool with a colourful Apple logo instead. This makes me smile again. ;)

View attachment 956696
Unfortunately, they stopped developing GeekTool, so it isn't available for Ventura / M1. Any suggestions? (Übersicht can't reach the menu bar by the way.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.