Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World
Tbh it kinda makes sense. Even on smaller screen without notch. The menu bar hides behind the tabs of the app itself. Especially if the app has many tabs like. the app name itself, file, view, etc. It usually hides the menu bar itself.

Reactions: PeterJP

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
Tbh it kinda makes sense. Even on smaller screen without notch. The menu bar hides behind the tabs of the app itself. Especially if the app has many tabs like. the app name itself, file, view, etc. It usually hides the menu bar itself.

It will hide tabs when there are too many to be shown.

However, in addition to still doing that, it seems like it's hiding tabs that could have been shown if the notch wasn't there.

Am I making too much of this? I haven't seen this first-hand other than the video I included.

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World
It will hide tabs when there are too many to be shown.

However, in addition to still doing that, it seems like it's hiding tabs that could have been shown if the notch wasn't there.

Am I making too much of this? I haven't seen this first-hand other than the video I included.
Hmm. It's good to be aware of the problem. It's prob gonna be fixed by apple or developer of apps. Give it time imo since this is the first time apple has put a notch on a MacBook. So the software would prob need to be refined with each updates for it to be good :D

Fomalhaut

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2020
I am still waiting on my 16" MBP, arriving Friday. I was all for the notch until I saw this....

Hiding menu items behind the notch is clearly bad, but even without the notch, your status items will disappear if you have lots of menu items.

I scaled my 16” screen to the largest text and opened Davinci Resolve. All status icons except the control center disappear.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
Hiding menu items behind the notch is clearly bad, but even without the notch, your status items will disappear if you have lots of menu items.

I scaled my 16” screen to the largest text and opened Davinci Resolve. All status icons except the control center disappear.

Again, of course, menu items do start disappearing when you have too many installed and/or windows open.

However, they don't disappear from the middle of the menu bar.

In this case, the presenter is showing iStats Menu which is an essential menu bar stats tool. That information always stays in the menu bar. Here, the notch is hiding a few of its icons.

Sterkenburg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Japan
iStats Menu is a well known 3rd party app, they will certainly roll out an update to fix this.

These new MBPs come with several important hardware changes. That some software glitches with various apps will pop up in the first few weeks after the release is hardly surprising and is the price of being an early adopter of a new design. I'm obviously not saying this is pleasant or desirable, but come on all this "OMG I've spent $4k on this, returning it immediately!!!" drama we're seeing in half of the topics today is frankly speaking a little ridiculous.

Reactions: mciarlo

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
iStats Menu is a well known 3rd party app, they will certainly roll out an update to fix this.

These new MBPs come with several important hardware changes. That some software glitches with various apps will pop up in the first few weeks after the release is hardly surprising and is the price of being an early adopter of a new design. I'm obviously not saying this is pleasant or desirable, but come on all this "OMG I've spent $4k on this, returning it immediately!!!" drama we're seeing in half of the topics today is frankly speaking a little ridiculous.

I don't believe I expressed the kind of drama you are talking about.

I am certainly not looking to return my MBP due to this issue. I just thought it was rather unsettling that right now, this issue exists. There is a difference.

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Loaded about 20 apps onto my new MacBook last night. None of my apps have this problem. I suspect the few that do will quickly adjust with an update.

Reactions: NJRonbo

Sterkenburg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Japan

I am certainly not looking to return my MBP due to this issue. I just thought it was rather unsettling that right now, this issue exists. There is a difference.
Sure, I should have worded that differently, it wasn't directed to you. It's just that I think a few rough edges are inevitable right now as developers didn't know what changes Apple was going to implement with these new machines. It will take a little patience until things are ironed out.

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007

It'll be sorted, the use case he pointed out was a small one.

Did you report this to Apple as well?

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
Sure, I should have worded that differently, it wasn't directed to you. It's just that I think a few rough edges are inevitable right now as developers didn't know what changes Apple was going to implement with these new machines. It will take a little patience until things are ironed out.

No problem, friend. I think this issue is going to be addressed by Apple in a future update and the software designers themselves.

JamieLannister

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2016
sad part is there is no camera and sensors on the market that apple can buy so this notchness goes away. Perhaps if apple themselves designed the cameras/sensors and made themselves they can remove all this notch-nonsense.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I'm still all for the notch, despite the early issues. It's nothing that can't be fixed and I would expect these software issues to be worked out in the next macOS version. Not a deal breaker for me.

Ursadorable

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2013
The Frozen North
Yes, I'm necro'ing this thread.

I just received my new 14" M3 MBP last night, and this is quickly becoming a dealbreaker for me. Who thought it was a brilliant idea to put the camera notch directly in the middle of a active menu bar? It might be better on a 16", but on a 14" with it's already reduced menubar width, let's take away more for a camera.

Yes, I also use iStat menus.. and it's been several years and no fix, which tells me there likely won't be a fix. This is just a bad design decision, pure and simple.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
I agree, it's bonkers that apple don't have some kind of an overflow solution, a little arrow next to the notch or something.. or even any indication that there are icons you can't see, it's crazy. Considering how much apple are usually praised for the 'little details', this stands out to me as a crime.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Thank you, I'll give it a look. If I'm forced to use it, I'm hoping I can pick and choose which istat indicators to be in the menubar all the time, and which ones to hide away until asked for (like wifi, bluetooth, volume, etc.).
Yes, you can pick. I use Bartender and it completely solves the notch problem for me.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
Bartender is one of the most essential apps you can get for your MacBook

Reactions: jfm010

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
This is unfortunately true, the fact it needs a third party app to fix this is silly.

It is unfortunate. One would think, with the notch being around for several years now, that Apple would have a fix to this issue.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
It's not as if it wasn't an issue even before the notch, especially on smaller laptops, it just made it worse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.