Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

antisomnic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2012
Rochester, NY
Hey, has anyone figured out how to change the menu bar spacing (right hand icons). I LOVE the new interface, it's absolutely gorgeous. The only thing I don't like is how far apart the icons are on the menu bar.

Reactions: adrianlondon

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I'd suggest filing a radar with this feedback, it may be a bug. I'm not a big fan of it either.

planteater

Cancelled
Feb 11, 2020
Yes, it appears to be intentional. Some tools also have wide spacing in the drop down menus. I think its a compromise to accommodate touch. It is distracting and inefficient.

peter34

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2019
don't like it either. I have menu bar full on my MacBook Air even without bigger spacing. I hope there is way to switch it off.

Reactions: planteater

acousticbiker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2008
Now that I have the release version, I agree this is the worst part so far (a close second would be the required clock in the menubar) of what otherwise is a nice change. Anyone figure out a way to go back to old spacing?

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I fear a 'design feature' that Apple has imposed, when IIABDFI (If It Ain't Broke...) should apply. For what it's worth, I'm using the little app 'Hidden Bar' to (at least) limit the damage done.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
It did decrease slightly since one of the later betas.
Certainly did. Early on (1st public beta) I filed feedback regarding the spacing. Surprise, I got a reply (after the beta reducing the spacing) asking if I thought it was better. I responded that it was better, but that I preferred it to be like Catalina (and earlier) spacing.

I think it is too much part of the design change to space things out (whilst often making them smaller) to get much better unless there is universal outcry. I don't hear universal outcry.

Those of use who don't like the new design are not going to get much change. Have to find ways round it. :(

For the menubar, I consider Bartender v4 is essential to keep things under control.

steinmb

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2008
Norway
I know it not helping, but I like the increased white space. That been sad, I do not crowd my toolbar. And after the introduction of the new control pane with sound, bt, wifi - I can remove even more icons from the toolbar. I will prob. also remove the wifi I just need mentally prepare for it to be gone/moved :)

Screenshot 2020-11-17 at 09.38.53.png

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I think it is too much part of the design change to space things out (whilst often making them smaller) to get much better unless there is universal outcry. I don't hear universal outcry.
Agreed. I complained (via Feedback) that the mailbox list in Mail was too spaced out, but they decided they liked it as it was. Ah well.

acousticbiker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2008
The other annoying thing about the Big Sur menubar, is the keyboard prefs icon keeps moving back to the far right, even after I move it to my preferred position. I use it to for quick(er) access to emojis (I don't have a TouchBar). I guess the new M1 keyboards have a dedicated emoji button so I guess menubar access won't be needed once I upgrade

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
The other annoying thing about the Big Sur menubar, is the keyboard prefs icon keeps moving back to the far right, even after I move it to my preferred position. I use it to for quick(er) access to emojis (I don't have a TouchBar). I guess the new M1 keyboards have a dedicated emoji button so I guess menubar access won't be needed once I upgrade
Its a bit of a hassle, but CTRL+CMD+Spacebar also gives you access to emoji...

Vlad Soare

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania
I thought I'd give Bartender a try, but I don't like the permissions it requires. I don't see why it should have screen recording permissions, and the reasons it states for that do not seem convincing enough to me.

The menu icon spacing in Big Sur is hideous. But I don't think telling Apple about it will help. It's almost certainly designed like this, so they probably couldn't care less whether we like it or not. It's Apple's way or the highway, as usual.

Last edited:
Reactions: planteater

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I use Hidden Bar (free and it is in App Store) - it doesn't change spacing, but - I gather like Bartender - it does allow you to hide your choice of Menu Bar items. Seems harmless enough.

Reactions: ncrypt

Aero_14

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2020
Everytime I move "Show downloads" icon in safari's toolbar it travels back after some time. Any idea?

Screenshot 2020-12-19 at 20.02.00.png

MBehr2

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2018
Canada
The very latest version of Bartender 4 allows you to adjust the spacing of menubar icons. If, like me, you want spacing how it was then happiness!

Bartender allows you to control all sorts of aspects of the menubar. The BS version is a big advance compared with the Catalina version. Bartender
1613481407260.png

Finally a solution - and as I've discovered, after BarTender 4 has made the permanent change (takes place after logging out and back in again), BarTender is no longer required to be running. Only needed to run if you want all the other features or to revert back to Default Spacing.

Kudos to Ben Surtees and his team at Surtees Studios (makers of BarTender 4) http://www.surteesstudios.com

Amigaman

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Greenville, MI
The menu icon spacing in Big Sur is hideous. But I don't think telling Apple about it will help. It's almost certainly designed like this, so they probably couldn't care less whether we like it or not. It's Apple's way or the highway, as usual.
I thought the same thing when they removed the column browser from Apple Music. However, enough people complained and they eventually restored that functionality. Ya just never know with Apple.

Rodan52

macrumors 6502
Now on Bartender 5 trial. Had to re-apply menu bar spacing but done now. On a 14" MBP M1 the "notch is a problem if you have a fair number of MB icons eg. iStat Menu's which I have had for ages meaning I've had Bartender almost from inception. Great product as mentioned in post #23.
Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 12.32.40 pm.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.