Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seekorswim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
I wasn't able to find any good info on this when I needed to do it, so I'm providing the info for everyone else now. Hope it helps.

My situation was... EyeTV crashed in the middle of a recording, but restarted the recording immediately after the program relaunched. So I had one recording split into two entries in EyeTV. I wanted to merge the recordings back into one entry (without having to export, re-encode, etc).

Steps To Get There:
1) Edit both recordings and remove any markers (probably not required, but cleaner)
2) Select one of the recordings to be the "master" entry and note its location (easiest way is to Ctrl+Click/Right Click the recording and select Show In Finder)
3) Note the location of the other recording entry as well (Ctrl+Click -> Show In Finder)
4) Quit EyeTV (Cmd+Q)
5) Open Terminal
6) cd to the location of your "master" recording (e.g., cd ~/EyeTV Archive/MyMaster.eyetv)
7) Make a copy of the "master" mpg file (e.g., cp xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.mpg xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.mpg.orig)
8) Merge the "master" and "other" MPG files into the original filename using 'cat', being sure to cat them in the same order they were recorded. You will want to use the backed up copy of the "master" instead of the original for the cat operation (since the cat output is being redirected to the original filename). (e.g., cat firstrecorded.mpg.orig ../MyOther.eyetv/secondrecorded.mpg > xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.mpg)
9) Rename or remove the xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.eyetvi file in the "master" folder
10) Open EyeTV
11) Ctrl+Click the "master" entry and select Edit (EyeTV will start "Updating...", which is rebuilding the eyetvi file and recognizing the newly merged MPG)
12) Once the "Updating..." procedure is complete and you verify the merged file looks right, you can return to the Terminal and remove the copy of the original "master" MPG (e.g., rm xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.mpg.orig)

WARNING: These are steps that I used to get things working. Your mileage may vary. Use at your own risk, or make backups of things before making changes.

BikerMike

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2012
Sound

Suggest turning off your sound first unless you like listening to lots of system sounds. :eek:

revarts

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2012
Time vs. Risk

Thanks for this, it's worth its weight in gold!

One thing I did (since my fragments were 30G+) was to save myself a read and a write of the master by just concatenating the second fragment directly to the master, e.g.

cat ../MyOther.eyetv/secondrecorded.mpg >> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.mpg)

This took a lot less time, but I would have been sad if something went wrong - this approach doesn't have a backup of the master like seekorswim's does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.