Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
Dell finally unveiled their Air competitor today. They refused to release specs, but did let Engadget photograph the thing. Looks more like a black Macbook to me than a Macbook Air. It's supposed to be thinner than an Air but I can't tell from the pictures. Dell did try something new though. It appears the sides of the machine have no ports or holes. Everything got moved to what looks like a lip sticking out the back. Not sure I like that design decision at all. Still think the Air looks better.

2008-12-09delladam-8.jpg

2008-12-09delladam-24.jpg

2008-12-09delladam-27.jpg

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
"Dell finally unveiled their Air competitor today" haha
Thats a good joke, your a very funny guy, i like the ass its got going on there. tap that :p

rhyx

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
No specs. What's the point? Something could have the prettiest case on the outside but the insides could be garbage.

01jamcon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2006
London
"Dell finally unveiled their Air competitor today" haha
Thats a good joke, your a very funny guy, i like the ass its got going on there. tap that :p

I like it, I don't think its the best design ever, but its certainly clever.

Edit: I just saw the video of it on engadget, damn, that thing is GOOD looking. Compared, this might just be better looking, thinner and lighter than the Air. Here's hoping it is decently spec'd for a reasonable price. Shame its still only Windows though.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Looks better than the Air in that they didn't ram a keyboard in which is a different colour to the rest of the case.

6SSD4

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2008
Nothing really looks as thin as the Air because of the way it's built. If anyone wants to compete with it, they have to make it the same way. Even the Vodoo (or whatever it's called) looks alot thicker than the Air. Atleast when it's closed....well, that's what I think.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Im not diggin the look that much at all. things got an ass in the back, but the brushed black aluminum with the matte black keys is an eyesore IMO.

Notice i say MY opinion before anyone jumps at me:p

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
USA
Im not diggin the look that much at all. things got an ass in the back, but the brushed black aluminum with the matte black keys is an eyesore IMO.

Notice i say MY opinion before anyone jumps at me:p

Same here. I really don't like the looks myself.
With all the MBA competitors I've seen, I really don't like any of them.

glitch44

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2006
i actually like the brushed metal. i don't know about the super shiny screen, though.

if i knew for sure i could run OS X on it, i might give it a try.

akbc

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
Hmm, I was looking for Air-Like, solid Windows machine.
this might just do it XD

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
I wonder if Dell got english problem or something cause I remember their ad says, the world thinnest notebook.

The current world thinnest notebook is the MBA, so how can that chunk of brick be thinner then the MBA?

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
Woah the white/aluminum one looks much better. I really, really do not like the ports sticking out the big back though. If they got rid of that it wouldn't be half bad, but then it might have been too similar looking to the Voodoo Envy.

2009-01-09whitead-4.jpg

2009-01-09whitead-1.jpg

2009-01-09whitead-5.jpg

Maven1975

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
Not bad Dell.. Not bad at all!

I actually don't mind the ass/ports in the back.

But alas.. No firewire for the whiners here. :)

Seriously, if it had the MBA keyboard, trackpad and OSX .. it would be a serious contender for me.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
That thing is sexy. And it doesn't have that BS lack of ports the Air has going on. I'd take one of those any day over the Air (assuming that the specs are at least as good as the Air's)

LxMx

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2006
I wonder if Dell got english problem or something cause I remember their ad says, the world thinnest notebook.

The current world thinnest notebook is the MBA, so how can that chunk of brick be thinner then the MBA?

The MacBook Air at it's thickest point is thicker than the Adamo. This is a guess, I don't think anyone has any exact dimensions of the Adamo.

Looks like a pretty cool machine though.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
The MacBook Air at it's thickest point is thicker than the Adamo. This is a guess, I don't think anyone has any exact dimensions of the Adamo.

You think the Adamo (wtf kind of name is that, by the way?) is thinner than .76 inches? Sure doesn't look like it.

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
Also, is there a way i can do that to an aluminum macbook?

You mean color it black? Not without a lot of expense and difficulty since the aluminum is anodized. You'd have to anodize it again after coloring it, which isn't easy.

You think the Adamo (wtf kind of name is that, by the way?) is thinner than .76 inches? Sure doesn't look like it.

Adamo is a weird name. First time I heard it I thought it was a new season of Battlestar Galactica. It's actually not the name of the notebook but Dell's new high end line.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
One word. POS. The design is total crap... the "ass" just looks awkward, no pun intended. It is pretty thing, but it doesn't have the sex appeal of the MBA.

And.. that is not thinner than a MBA. I can tell using relative size of the USB ports. The MBA is thinner and much better.

Aea

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
Denver, Colorado
One word. POS. The design is total crap... the "ass" just looks awkward, no pun intended. It is pretty thing, but it doesn't have the sex appeal of the MBA.

And.. that is not thinner than a MBA. I can tell using relative size of the USB ports. The MBA is thinner and much better.

My My Fanboyism.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.