Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
Not with an app so much as a prefPane type thing. One switch to let you activate the stylus option button that turns the keyboard frame into a writing frame, so you can use it in any app that takes text. Really, the screen needs to have a sensitivity adjustment so that you can use that toothpick lying there if you left your 5-button bluetooth super-stylus at home.

techkidd4400

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2007
iPad ain't no iPhone

Whether you agree the iPad needs a stylus may depend on what you intend to use a tablet for. I think not incorporating pen and ink in the UI was a mistake.

It seems odd to me that Apple would even adopt the "pad" metaphor for something that cannot be used as a notepad. Afterall, the iPad is incredibly deficient when it comes to easy text entry...so is the iPhone by the way, but the iPhone is a cell phone.

So for text entry, you get no stylus or pen/ink functionality and if you really want to type something (other than a twitter message or brief email), you are expected to use an external keyboard.

I will not be surprised to see the iPad initially blow out of stores, but I hope Apple recognizes that their tablet ain't no iPhone.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Whether you agree the iPad needs a stylus may depend on what you intend to use a tablet for. I think not incorporating pen and ink in the UI was a mistake.

It seems odd to me that Apple would even adopt the "pad" metaphor for something that cannot be used as a notepad. Afterall, the iPad is incredibly deficient when it comes to easy text entry...so is the iPhone by the way, but the iPhone is a cell phone.

So for text entry, you get no stylus or pen/ink functionality and if you really want to type something (other than a twitter message or brief email), you are expected to use an external keyboard.

I will not be surprised to see the iPad initially blow out of stores, but I hope Apple recognizes that their tablet ain't no iPhone.

I will only buy after I use a demo model in a store, no preorder for me, however, I think that typing using the onscreen keyboard will be very easy after a short learning curve and the lack of tactile feedback won't be a very big deal. I can see the non-keyboard dock being the bigger hit picture frame use, etc. (Side note: think how much people already pay for those gimmicky 8x10 digital picture frames and the iPad does so much more).

I don't know that I would really use a dock or bluetooth keyboard over the onscreen. But I have an iMac, so if I want a keyboard I will use that.

bpd115

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
As far as how accurate the stylus is, take a look at what's already been accomplished on an iPhone with Brushes and a stylus:

http://www.tenonedesign.com/gallery

Just imagine what can now be done with the new Brushes app demoed and a bigger canvas.

Now, as far as some sort of OCR, that would be great but not necessary for myself. There will be note apps for this device.. there already are for the iPhone.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
This is an interesting proposition and I think gets to the heart of the matter, at least as I understood SJ. The iPad is about doing what most of the people do most of the time. I would have to say that most people can take notes "only" with an onscreen or BT keyboard most of the time.

Given that, I would think we won't see a stylus from Apple itself. Happily, as has been pointed out, the market for 3rd party accessories for the iPhone is large, and since styli already exist for the iPhone, I'm sure we'll see even bigger ones made for the iPad for folks like you who want/need to make note of formulas, diagrams, etc.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
So far, nobody seems to have commented on the OP's request for a "stylus mode," where the screen would accept input from a stylus only, and ignore any accidental touches from fingers/hands. I can see how such a mode would be useful, because when we write on an actual notepad, we often rest our hands on the pad for support and ease of moving the pen. But to implement such a mode would surely be very technological challenging, and probably drive up the cost of a tablet quite a bit. As it is, all tablets currently on the market or being planned does one or the other, but I don't know of any that can switch modes like that. I do hope somebody will develop such a screen sometime, because that would be just awesome.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
For note taking.

This comes in particularly handy for college students. For one reason because I'm not sure that the keyboard will be the biggest hit. But mainly because, myself being an engineer, I know that i couldn't take notes in any of my classes on a computer. I need to write equations, and draw pictures, and all sorts of things that can't be done with a keyboard.

But the issue becomes the fact that the iPad needs to recognize the difference between the stylus and your hand, so it's not an issue when your hands rest on the "page". This is why apple needs to come up with the solution.

Thoughts?

The iPad has a stylus; it's called your finger. Also, serious note, it's easier to type your class notes than to write them. To draw, it's easier to draw with your fingers by zooming and using different brushes than a pen.

That's the beauty of multi-touch.

GorillaPaws

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
To draw, it's easier to draw with your fingers by zooming and using different brushes than a pen.

That's the beauty of multi-touch.

You must have VERY narrow fingers. Try writing a formula with your finger, and then compare the results to one written with a pen. Post the results, I'd love to see how much easier and nicer the finger-painted version looks.

I realize that there will be 3rd party support for some of this, but it would have been infinitely better to have it as built-in functionality, especially if the iPad had a place to stow the stylus when not in use.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
You must have VERY narrow fingers. Try writing a formula with your finger, and then compare the results to one written with a pen. Post the results, I'd love to see how much easier and nicer the finger-painted version looks.

I realize that there will be 3rd party support for some of this, but it would have been infinitely better to have it as built-in functionality, especially if the iPad had a place to stow the stylus when not in use.

Which is why you have zoom in features... geesh, can you think for a moment?

G4R2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2006
The iPad doesn't need a stylus.

If a user needs a stylus, they should use something other than an iPad.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005

Think outside the box.

You can define the size of a brush in any painting app, etc. When you write with your finger, it doesn't need to be the size of your finger tip. It can draw a line as indicated by the movement of your finger, not its size.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro

I also found it odd that Apple would use the Pad name but not include any writing "notepad" functionality.

Runt888

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Poor Man's Stylus. Take the negative end of a AAA or AA battery and use that. Works great on the iphone when I've got my ski gloves on.

Doesn't this scratch the crap out of the screen?

I agree, for note taking in technical/math fields, a stylus would be very helpful. I'm sure third parties will fill the void here.

:eek: Zooming in, drawing thick lines, then zooming out would still result in crappy looking handwriting. Just because you wouldn't need a stylus, doesn't mean that there isn't a perfectly valid use for one. Posting a crappy workaround isn't helpful, and neither are the insults.

ikimasu

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2010

Think outside the box.

You can define the size of a brush in any painting app, etc. When you write with your finger, it doesn't need to be the size of your finger tip. It can draw a line as indicated by the movement of your finger, not its size.

You can do all of this in photoshop too. You can zoom in, use larger/smaller brushes, etc. And with my Wacom, I use all of these functions. But have you heard of anyone who makes a finger tablet for that? I've not seen any tablet like that. In fact, every tablet I know of up to this point uses a stylus, and even if there was some kind of strictly finger-touch tablet that I've not heard of, I think I'm safe in saying it's not very popular in comparison. Why? Because it's easier to use a stylus than your finger. This isn't to say you can't use your finger, it's just that it's easier to use a stylus when drawing and writing. It's more natural to use a tool. You just get better control.

As someone pointed out above, this device is called the iPad. When I think of a pad, I think of something you can write and draw on with a writing utensil. Not something you have to finger paint on. So it just seems odd to say:

The iPad doesn't need a stylus.

If a user needs a stylus, they should use something other than an iPad.

Now, if you don't care about a stylus, I can totally get that. I don't think a stylus should even necessarily be included with the tablet when you buy it. But I think it would make sense for stylus functionality to be built in for something that is called an iPad. Especially since if they sold a stylus and an app to use it separately, they would only make more money.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
FWIW, to capture customers' signatures on its new iPod touch-based EasyPay POS system, Apple Stores use the Pogo Sketch stylus (instead of making the customer try to sign the screen with their fingertip):

product_sketch_horizontal.png

http://tenonedesign.com/sketch.php

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Pressure sensitivity and an optional stylus would be really nice. Just like the keyboard this would be an option. One could even have the stylus be a brush...

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Think outside the box.

Going to be tough to think outside the box when can't see the box. Sure can make the pen size smaller than your figure. However, that also means you cannot see what you are drawing either. You can only see after your finger moves away.

So for example how do you pricely join 4 lines to all meet at a single point?
Zoom in and change brush size and then zoom back out and again change brush size is not the answer. You cannot think outside the box if you cannot see the box (i.e., think outside of the problem you are trying to solve). In the context of taking notes the content is streaming by. While you are adding additionaly ergonomic actions to perform the presenter could have moved onto the next point which also needs to be recorded. This isn't a "work at your own pace in Photoshop" where you can labor over a drawing for 5 minutes or build some paint-by-numbers diagram and fill it in. This is need to get drawing of modest complexity accurately done in less that 2-4 secs kind of context. (e.g., a physics problem force diagram of along 2-3 vectors , an equation with super and subscripts, an eight atom molecule with complicated bonds, etc. ). Too many additional commands will impair that process, not enhance it.

I could see some multitouch gesture to insert a canvas for a figure ( to make it distinct from a handwriting area from a drawing area). But once have bounding box... drawing is quicker is use a precise instrument.

techkidd4400

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2007
I can't find any examples of people writing with a Pogo stylus on the iPhone.

Taking notes, drawing diagrams, writing equations is all I want to do.

This thing looks horrible to write with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riE3imu5nLI

Yes, the Pogo stylus isn't for real note taking. As for using fingers for notetaking, come on what are we cave dwellers, we don't take notes with our fingers. I want the iPad to succeed too, but let's not be blinded by our enthusiasm for a product that does not meet a need.

It's clear that some don't need or want a stylus in a tablet and, perhaps, Apple had those users in mind when they designed the iPad. Using the iPad for interesting uses like reading e-books, email, twitter messages, and whatever else we do on our iPhones and iPod Touch is fine for some. I, like a few others on this forum, apparently wanted the UI to include pen based notetaking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.