Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
I technically carry around an IPhone 11 and iPhone 15 pro max daily. Yes. Because I enjoy separating my personal life from work/school life.

my iPhone 11 is my personal phone with its own icloud account. It has all my selfies, my social media apps, my dating apps like tinder or bumble, and a crap ton of memes and other social apps(Snap, facebook, tik tok, etc) that I use. It also has my main phone.

my 15 is my work and school phone.

I realize it is sort of crazy to literally carry 2 phones around and I wanting to simply just go all in on my 15 going forward. My question is how do you guys sort of keep everything separate.

My biggest fear is accidentally sending a selfie of me doing shots at the bar with my fellow law student by accident to a Professor or client :p But also when I am looking for photos for a case study, I dont want to have to sort through a bunch of memes either. And lords know i have many.

I know there are plenty of White collar individuals who have their work and personal on their phones. But even those who aren't white collar and simply have kids, how do you sort of keep your work and personal separate but together?

Focus mode is really irrelevant as I am not distracted so much as I just want to be able to simply carry one phone. I realized this the other night going out with friends for a christmas party and I had BOTH with me and I freaked because i lost my 15 momentarily after quite a bit of Jameson and realized carrying two phones is more of a hassle to keep up with both.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I realize it is sort of crazy to literally carry 2 phones around…
No. It's not.

I do it all the time. But if you want to call me crazy, I've been called much worse.

The only things from work that I allow on my personal phone is Google Chat and my work email account. But I don't have a job where a phone for work is required (I've never had a job like that), so I really can't help.

You might look into using the second e-SIM on the iPhone 15 for your personal info though. I've heard you can separate things that way, but it's probably wrong and I have no idea how that'd work. One last thing to point out - if your work phone is ever lost or stolen all your personal stuff goes with it. And if your employer ever wants the phone back or you separate from them you're going to be busy trying to get all your personal stuff off the work phone to your own phone. That alone might present big problems if you're trying to get all that stuff back to a previous model of iPhone.

Reactions: scorpio vega

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
No. It's not.

I do it all the time. But if you want to call me crazy, I've been called much worse.

The only things from work that I allow on my personal phone is Google Chat and my work email account. But I don't have a job where a phone for work is required (I've never had a job like that), so I really can't help.

You might look into using the second e-SIM on the iPhone 15 for your personal info though. I've heard you can separate things that way, but it's probably wrong and I have no idea how that'd work. One last thing to point out - if your work phone is ever lost or stolen all your personal stuff goes with it. And if your employer ever wants the phone back or you separate from them you're going to be busy trying to get all your personal stuff off the work phone to your own phone. That alone might present big problems if you're trying to get all that stuff back to a previous model of iPhone.
Yeah that's a good point. It just gets so tedious charging them up lol. And now that one is USB c only :D

Reactions: eyoungren

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
I carry two phones as well, my personal 13 Pro and a work-issued SE 2022. The company does give the option of using your own device, if you want, but I choose not to.

It depends on your line of work if it's a good idea or not. I work in healthcare and constantly have HIPAA-protected data on my work phone, and my employer requires a certificate be installed on any devices that login to teams/outlook/the intranet.. The certificate gives them the ability to wipe the phone if there is a problem, requires all passwords to be changed every 90 days (including the login pin, and associated apple watch pin), and who knows what else. I don't want to give them that ability, so I carry two phones.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
I carry two phones as well, my personal 13 Pro and a work-issued SE 2022. The company does give the option of using your own device, if you want, but I choose not to.

It depends on your line of work if it's a good idea or not. I work in healthcare and constantly have HIPAA-protected data on my work phone, and my employer requires a certificate be installed on any devices that login to teams/outlook/the intranet.. The certificate gives them the ability to wipe the phone if there is a problem, requires all passwords to be changed every 90 days (including the login pin, and associated apple watch pin), and who knows what else. I don't want to give them that ability, so I carry two phones.

I work with a law firm so sometimes I have scene photos on my phone and what not. So i like to keep that separate from say pics of me doing jello shots or body shots haha

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
I work with a law firm so sometimes I have scene photos on my phone and what not. So i like to keep that separate from say pics of me doing jello shots or body shots haha

My wife is an attorney and she carries one phone, but it's an Android, and she is self-employed. It lets you have separate work and personal profiles....wish Apple had that option.

You could add a third-party phone app and use that. Google voice or similar.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
I also carry 2 phones. I've done this at 2 different companies & a lot depends on the company's requirements. At one, I had to install mobileIron, which locked down the phone. I couldn't back up to iCloud, couldn't back up photos, etc. The other company, all I had to do was type in my work email address in outlook.

Even so, I like keeping them separate. It avoids any issues with sending personal photos to work colleagues, etc.

Another solution might be to get an Apple Watch with cellular & use that to replace 1 of the phones when you go someplace like the bar. You'd still be reachable if needed, but not have to have 2 phones in your pocket.

I think if you do plan to combine both into 1 phone, the best way forward, would be to use separate apps for work & personal (so something like apple mail & Calendar for personal, outlook for work. Apple photos for personal, and I'm actually not sure if there is an alternate photos app for the phone, iMessage for personal, google messages for work, etc)

That should eliminate most of the concern about accidentally sending something somewhere it shouldn't go.

schnitzel-pretzel

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2023
Kentucky
On no planet would I ever allow work and personal phones to be merged into one. Just on principle to begin with, my work life is separate from my personal life, but from a practical daily standpoint, it's far too risky. You're commingling personal photos and conversations with work stuff. Even setting aside the risk of accidentally sending a personal photo through a work channel, there's the fact that you're almost certainly signing something in your employment agreement that would give your place of work pretty intrusive access to that device if they need it. Does your work phone have an MDM profile on it? Because now your personal device will, too. Depending on the setup, it could even be remotely wiped.

There's basically no good reason to do this -- the inconvenience of carrying two phones is not good reason. The downsides are plenty.

Not having to worry that when I pull out my work device to access a work-related photo while with colleagues or screen sharing -- that I may pull up a photo roll with very personal photos -- is reason enough to never consider this.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
My wife is an attorney and she carries one phone, but it's an Android, and she is self-employed. It lets you have separate work and personal profiles....wish Apple had that option.

You could add a third-party phone app and use that. Google voice or similar.
I actively try to avoid most things google. But i do have a T-mobile line for my personal line and Google FI for work so i decided to just merge the 2 on my phone and try to see how I like one device for the remainder of the year.

I have been suggested Focus Mode and Focus Filters for work and Personal so i am going to give that a try.

What kind of Law does your wife practice?

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
I actively try to avoid most things google. But i do have a T-mobile line for my personal line and Google FI for work so i decided to just merge the 2 on my phone and try to see how I like one device for the remainder of the year.

I have been suggested Focus Mode and Focus Filters for work and Personal so i am going to give that a try.

What kind of Law does your wife practice?

Criminal defense (private and public-defense) and family mediation.

I would like to have one phone, but the MDM that my company requires you install on your personal device is a no-go. I work for a hospital, so I get it, as A LOT of very sensitive information goes through my phone, but it still sucks.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
Criminal defense (private and public-defense) and family mediation.

I would like to have one phone, but the MDM that my company requires you install on your personal device is a no-go. I work for a hospital, so I get it, as A LOT of very sensitive information goes through my phone, but it still sucks.
Sounds like your wife does what I'd like to do :) Especially for immigration.

And yeah, i merged everything to the 15. It is a bit weird having them altogether now but I dont have to worry about possibly losing one lol or keeping both charged

Reactions: Sorinut
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.