Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andrewonthebeach

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2020
I have just installed a mesh wifi router (TP-Link Deco X60) x 3 units as my home network and it works really well with one unexpected issue.

Airplay and other activities that require all devices to be on the same network don't connect properly with say the HomePod speakers connecting to different satellite routers to the Apple TV for example. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't depending on which wifi unit they are linking to.

A quick look online shows that this is a known issue with the following comment on an apple support thread.

"AirPlay 2 requires all devices be on the same network. While a mesh network technically is the same network, with multiple access points it may cause the AirPlay 2 feature to sometimes act unexpectedly."

I have looked for solutions with the only one being to isolate airplay devices to a separate, different single network but that isn't ideal. Its not just airplay either but online games that require same network are also impacted.

I have thought about backhauling the mesh units with ethernet but I don't know if that would solve the problem - I'm definitely no expert in networking - any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.