Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eastwoodandy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2016
Nottingham, England
Hi,

I’m renovating/extending my house and will be installing Ethernet ports in most rooms.

What are the best options for mesh WiFi and switches?

Ideally I’d like dedicated Ethernet backhaul, I’ll likely need a switch regardless (all non-mobile devices will be connected via Ethernet).

If possible I would like to have time machine support. My wife is less tech savvy so a regular wireless backup from her MacBook would be ideal.

I don’t want any smart speaker nodes, but options for connecting “dumb” audio devices would be nice but not essential.
With the size and shape of the renovated house, I think I’ll need one base station and two nodes as a minimum.

Price isn’t a massive issue, I’m mainly looking for ease of use & future proof as much as possible.

Thanks

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You will need to investigate different mesh systems to ascertain which of them support ethernet backhaul and which ones do not.

If you got one of the "3-band" mesh systems (such as with the higher-end Linksys Velop and Netgear Orbi), the backhaul is handled by "the third channel" so it does not steal bandwith from the "regular two" operational channels.
In other words, you don't need an ethernet backhaul connection...

Last edited:

Moakesy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
UK
I don’t know about your switch, but AMPLIFI Alien or HD system is good. See Here

I have their HD mesh system and love it. Ultra reliable, wide coverage and cured my poor speed issue in parts of the house. Also very Apple like in it’s setup.

eastwoodandy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2016
Nottingham, England
Thanks for the replies. Even though I wouldn’t necessarily need Ethernet for backhaul if there’s a dedicated third channel, I do want it as an option.

I’ve had a look at the options and decided on three Eero Pros plus this switch https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-SG116-Ethernet-Lifetime-Warranty/dp/B07J652QS3

I can connect my existing Apple Time Capsule via Ethernet, turn off the wifi, and it should still do backups.

Similarly, I can connect my old Apple Airport Express with WiFi off and keep it connected to my speaker to still use it for Airplay.

The AMPLIFI option looked really nice but probably a bit too pricey.

Reactions: Moakesy

herp

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2017
Thanks for the replies. Even though I wouldn’t necessarily need Ethernet for backhaul if there’s a dedicated third channel, I do want it as an option.

I’ve had a look at the options and decided on three Eero Pros plus this switch https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-SG116-Ethernet-Lifetime-Warranty/dp/B07J652QS3

I can connect my existing Apple Time Capsule via Ethernet, turn off the wifi, and it should still do backups.

Similarly, I can connect my old Apple Airport Express with WiFi off and keep it connected to my speaker to still use it for Airplay.

The AMPLIFI option looked really nice but probably a bit too pricey.

wouldn't touch eero due to the privacy considerations, IMO.

that aside, if you have runs back to the patch panel i don't see the need for a "mesh" system, just run multiple APs broadcasting the same network and let your devices roam automatically. all depends on your scenario of course, AP coverage and available locations make a big difference.

eastwoodandy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2016
Nottingham, England
wouldn't touch eero due to the privacy considerations, IMO.

that aside, if you have runs back to the patch panel i don't see the need for a "mesh" system, just run multiple APs broadcasting the same network and let your devices roam automatically. all depends on your scenario of course, AP coverage and available locations make a big difference.

Thanks, I already have this setup in my house - a Time Capsule and Airport Express. But it’s not the best and is showing its age.

Appreciate the privacy concerns on Eero but it’s not something I’m too concerned with compared to other Amazon products.

herp

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2017
Thanks, I already have this setup in my house - a Time Capsule and Airport Express. But it’s not the best and is showing its age.

the airport products are more or less dinosaurs compared to everything on the market today, personally I wouldn't infer much about a future setup based on the ineffectiveness of those pieces of hardware.

any other info you can share - total area, house shape, number of floors, any spectrum congestion, number of clients, number of ethernet runs and their locations, etc?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.