Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AGANG

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2015
Hi!

Few days ago I bought a brand new iPhone 6s. Everything is working fine with the phone. Yesterday I noticed a mess on the top of the screen glass (about the voice speaker). I cleaned with soft skin but it seems it's permanently... I guess it's a glue problem between the glass ant the LCD screen. If I breath to this mess it shows more heavier.
I attached some photo to this Thread, where you can see this problem.

Somebody has an Idea what can be this mess?
Thank you :)

Attachments

• DSC_0489.JPG
    DSC_0489.JPG
    228.3 KB · Views: 604
  • DSC_0490.JPG
    DSC_0490.JPG
    252 KB · Views: 530
  • DSC_0491.JPG
    DSC_0491.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 522

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Did something get on the iPhone from You? It looks like dried adhesive.

Perhaps take a cotton swab and some rubbing alcohol and lightly rub on the "Mess" and see if that removes it.

AGANG

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2015
I tried to clean with alcohol and it doesn't help. :( Thank you for your advice.

AGANG

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2015
It's not a scratch. The surface is clean. I thing this thing is under the glass, but what is this exactly?:O

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
If it's under the glass, it was probably there when you bought it. I would exchange it.

If it's not under the glass, I don't think there's a whole lot you can do without knowing what the substance is.

ANTAWNM26

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
It looks like that's not the only issue. Stop wasting your time and take it back. To me it looks like it's been through hell considering the other marks

AGANG

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2015
Maybe I will bring back to the service that replace this iPhone. As I heard if somebody bring back the phone untill warranty it can happen that get back a refurbished iphone (so not a brand new).
What did you hear about this method?
[doublepost=1483628344][/doublepost]Its funny that if I clean the screen doesnt seen this mess, but when I touch with my finger or breath on it it will shows again :D I dont understand this ...

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
As I heard if somebody bring back the phone untill warranty it can happen that get back a refurbished iphone (so not a brand new).

This is true. Depending on what they have in stock, they may replace your phone with a refurb. I would not worry about it though. They check them out pretty well before sending them out as refurbs.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Its funny that if I clean the screen doesnt seen this mess, but when I touch with my finger or breath on it it will shows again :D I dont understand this ...

That makes it sound like there are tiny defects in the oleophobic coating.

AGANG

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2015
That is an oleophobic coating issue. :( I'm sure in it. I will bring this phone in to the service.

Thank you very much the help to you all!
Can I change back the phone by the authorized service provider, to a brand new iPhone with an unopened box?

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
This is true. Depending on what they have in stock, they may replace your phone with a refurb. I would not worry about it though. They check them out pretty well before sending them out as refurbs.

Yep I've never had any issues with refurbs that they have given me. Just like a new iPhone.

Reactions: Weaselboy

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
That is an oleophobic coating issue. :( I'm sure in it. I will bring this phone in to the service.
The oleophobic coat will wear off no matter what you do. Just keep your phone and use it normally, there's nothing actually wrong with it; those marks you see probably appeared while your phone was in your pocket; if you replace the phone the same thing is very likely going to happen to that phone as well.

When the coat is all worn off, the front of your phone will simply be one solid mess of fingerprint smudges and there will not be any marks anymore because the coating is gone... :) Apple might as well stop with these oleophobic coats altogether, but they won't of course because the coat makes the phone look all nice and clean for a short while when it is new, meh...

If you return the phone all you do is generate waste, either when Apple trashes the screen or your entire phone, or (more likely) has it refurbished and sells it again. We need to take care of this planet, and that includes pulling back on unnecessary, fickle consumption. Making smartphones is very energy and resource intensive.

So just keep your phone and be happy. :)

Reactions: sartrekid and AGANG

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I would suggest taking it back to the place you bought it and showing them the marks. Especially if you're within the return window, you should get a new phone, no questions asked.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I would suggest taking it back to the place you bought it and showing them the marks. Especially if you're within the return window, you should get a new phone, no questions asked.

Or if anything, he be looking at a replacement device if he's in his return period. Especially if it came defective from the manufacturer like that, Apple will stand behind it.

AGANG

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2015
I wrote an email to the Authorized Service Provider in my country because this issue. They wrote that is an aesthetic problem and can't replace the phone. Is this correct?:O

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
You need to return it for a refund if they won't replace it otherwise. That defect is not acceptable.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
That defect is not acceptable.
It's not a defect. The oleophobic coat is a soft coat which wears off in a matter of weeks, or perhaps a few months tops if you really baby the phone and don't use it much. It's completely normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.