Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sajal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2014
When I am searching in my messages, most of the times proper results are not coming. How can I reindex or fix this?

I tried few steps like changing Language, restart, killed message app etc..

I am on ios 11.2 and will hate to reset and restore if thats the only option.

jrdatrackstar1223

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2017
Brownsburg, IN
When I am searching in my messages, most of the times proper results are not coming. How can I reindex or fix this?

I tried few steps like changing Language, restart, killed message app etc..

I am on ios 11.2 and will hate to reset and restore if thats the only option.

Go to Siri&Search -> Messages and then disable it for both things (search within apps and allow or whatever).

Then go back to messages and search.

Then kill messages app and then re-enable the settings in Siri.

Go back to Messages and search again and the results will show up.

Apple’s machine learning algorithms apparently suck and their stuff just gets hung....

Reactions: Sajal

KUKitch

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
England
This is something I've noticed as well... when you refer to proper results do you mean you know something from awhile back is there, and not showing up? I for one have noticed that you have to keep scrolling up in threads for them to load previous messages up and then things will show up - but that may be a separate issue than what you're referring to... I will say I don't know how to fix that - I wish it would search through entire conversations rather than just the 'current' portions

Sajal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2014
This is something I've noticed as well... when you refer to proper results do you mean you know something from awhile back is there, and not showing up? I for one have noticed that you have to keep scrolling up in threads for them to load previous messages up and then things will show up - but that may be a separate issue than what you're referring to... I will say I don't know how to fix that - I wish it would search through entire conversations rather than just the 'current' portions
Searching for recent messages, I know the keyword is there, but it does not show up.

However after doing what jrdatrackstar1223 suggested above, it got somewhat fixed. I believe after sometime it will probably fix it all, at least now many results are coming

jrdatrackstar1223

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2017
Brownsburg, IN
The only times I've seen this happen is when you restore from a backup or something and say there are message from the backup that proceed the date and time of your restore; the messages will not show up in any search (Messages, Siri, etc). I've only found it to "re-read" your messages from the backup by doing what I've suggested.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.