Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrbobdobolina

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2016
I have a Mac Studio and for the last year I've been able to send SMS messages (usually responses) via the message app on my computer.

I get a "Message Send Failure" error.

My troubleshooting steps so far:
  • rebooted computer. (Mac Studio, macOS 12.6.6)
  • logged out of my Apple ID inside the Messages/iMessage preferences on the computer.
  • rebooted again.
  • on my iPhone (12 mini, if it matters, OS 16.5.1(c)) went to Settings -> Messages, turned on "Send as SMS" which was off, and toggled Text Message Forwarding off, then back on, for the mac in question.
  • tested my other mac and it too would not send. (iMac macOS 13.4.1)
This only is affecting my ability to contact non-iMessage users. (Green bubbles.)

I recently switched my phone provider, and it's possible (probable?) that this started happening when I made that switch. (Switched from Visible [who I actually really liked] to Mint Mobile [because it was quite a bit cheaper].) I kept the same number.

Anything else I can/should try to get this working again?

Thanks in advance.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Try going to Settings > Messages on your iPhone and cycling Text Messages Forwarding off and on.

mrbobdobolina

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2016
Thank you!

As I went back to toggle this option I realized that Send & Receive iMessages had been unchecked for my phone number. Not sure how or why, but after enabling that everything works as expected!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.