Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dotsam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2021
For the past 4 or 5 days now, I've had issues with the Messages app on my watch (Series 5 GPS, watchOS 9.4, paired to an iPhone XS on 16.4.1) which manifests in a few different ways.

The first is that Messages notifications usually don't work. I will sometimes get a haptic or a sound notification, but if I then glance at the watch, I'll usually see it re-springing, which takes 5-15 seconds, and then dumps me back to the watch face.

The next and most observable/repeatable symptom is that I can open the Messages app, but tapping through to any conversation will only show it for a second, and then quit back to the app launcher. I can scroll the conversation list just fine, and even delete conversations, but trying to view one is what causes the crash.

Finally, the last symptom I've seen is that trying to reply to an Activity notification will fail, and just return to the notification list.

I've done all the troubleshooting here I can think of, starting with reboots of phone and watch, then doing a reset and restore of the watch, and finally this morning unpairing the watch and setting it up new. No change. I've also enabled/disabled iMessages on my phone, as well as put the watch in to full airplane mode (BT and WiFi off) and the issue still occurs.

I'm pretty much out of things to try at this point, so I've filled FB12135643 which has full sysdiagnoses from my phone and watch attached.

Does anyone have any other ideas of things to try, short of a full phone restore (which I might eventually do, but am trying to avoid right now)?

jwcounts

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2023
Houston, TX
I’m having the exact same problem! I have a Series 7 and a 13 Pro Max, and I noticed earlier today that it’s re-springing every time I get a message, and the Messages app crashes every time I open a thread. I’ve tried the same stuff you have: erased the watch and restored from a backup, erased and set up as new, and still nothing. I’m not having any issues on the phone so I hadn’t thought to do a reset there. I’m wondering if there’s an issue on Apple’s end? It feels like a long shot since it’s only on the Watch, but for more than one person to have the same issue on the same software on the same day would seem to be outside factors.

TacoMilkshake

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2023
Apple Watch Ultra & Apple Watch Series 8 -- both watches exhibit this behavior! Paired with iPhone Pro Max 14. All latest RTM iOS versions.

I tried "Erase content and settings" on the Ultra, re-paired, and the issue persists.

jwcounts

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2023
Houston, TX
I eventually reset my watch and restored from a backup, since starting fresh didn’t change anything and I didn’t want to have to set my watch faces back up. I turned the notifications for Message off on my watch for the time being to see if I can save the re-springs.

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
One more voice to the chorus here. Series 7 with a 14 Pro and the exact same behavior for me. Both a restore from backup and a clean restore did not fix the issue.

Nonentity

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2007
Yep same issue here: AW Ultra, iPhone 14 Pro all up to date. Issues persist even after unpairing and setting up as new.

I’ve heard that it could be a carrier issue - do you have a data plan on your Apple Watch?

Also to add for more data points:
- Provider: EE
- Watch data plan?: Yes

jwcounts

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2023
Houston, TX
Ah! That's good info.

Provider: Verizon
Watch data plan? Yes

I hadn't thought about it being a carrier issue. I'm going to turn off the cellular on my watch and see if anything changes.

Also, I installed the developer betas of iOS 16.5 and WatchOS 9.5 and the issues persist, which lends some more credence to the issue being outside the device.

Cyberskier

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2011
Same issue here, on Verizon. Unpairing and repairing didn’t fix the issue, and neither did turning off cellular.

macsplusmacs

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2014
I just updated my Ultra to the new watch OS and half the time I get a notification my watch reboots.

Did not have any issues before.

Did power cycle and a hard watch reset. (hold down two right buttons)

still crashes.

ATT with watch data plan.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Same issue here.

12 Pro Max
Series 7 GPS only
Mint Mobile

Seems to be affecting many carriers at this point. One person on Reddit said they were on T-Mobile. Another is on EE and said the carrier told them it seems to be a syncing issue that has been reported to Apple to fix.

It ate my watch and iPhone battery alive today.

macsplusmacs

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2014
So I think also, that it is a carrier or apple notification code error.

Went to apple store.
They did everything (after I called them and did everything)
They took my ultra in to be serviced
Next day I charged my old series 4
Guess what happened as soon as I got my first message/text?

Crash. Just like my ultra.

My series 4 is on 9.0 my ultra was on 9.4

Don't bother sending your watches back. Wait for the software fix.

Will update if I find a solution with apple.

Both on ATT.

Iphone had same OS for both watches. did not update till yesterday for the emergency fix.

no change.

jwcounts

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2023
Houston, TX
Apple responded to the Feedback I filed last week, and I’m happy to report that watchOS 9.5 dev beta 4 fixes the issue. I can open conversations on my watch, and receiving Messages notifications no longer leads to a re-spring.

Attachments

• IMG_4395.png
    IMG_4395.png
    505.4 KB · Views: 77

macsplusmacs

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2014
Apple responded to the Feedback I filed last week, and I’m happy to report that watchOS 9.5 dev beta 4 fixes the issue. I can open conversations on my watch, and receiving Messages notifications no longer leads to a re-spring.

Thank you so much for posting this. I have talked to apple support more over the last four days than my girlfriend!

I can definitely wait for this.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Downloaded the public beta of watchOS 9.5 beta 4 and can also confirm this works. Thank you so much for reporting it and helping to get it fixed quickly!

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022
Nice to read that the problem was solved here... if it was? I'm searching the formus for a different problem I guess but also related to messages.... the app doesn't crash but I just don't get the notification vibration. I wonder if it's the latest version of watchOS or something but I don't see any other articles about it. On version 9.4... no betas or etc just regular latest OS version

Gillibrand

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2023
Thanks @jwcounts! I had the same crashing problem. The watchOS 9.5 beta fixed it. Apple even asked me to send the watch in for repair, but they just returned it without doing anything. I thought I was stuck until I saw this.

Seems like I had to install the iOS beta first before the the watchOS one. Maybe I missed something, but both are working well now.

Reactions: macsplusmacs
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.