Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrMotownMac

Contributor
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Michigan
Does anyone know of a way to have the Messages app automatically reply to messages from others? For example, when I'm on vacation, I can set my email to send an automatic reply to people telling them I'm on vacation and that I'll get back to them by some future date, but in the meantime, if it's urgent, they can contact my business partner. I would like to have a similar automatic reply to text messages. Of course, in an ideal world, I'd like that auto-reply to only go to business contacts, but my personal contacts would still be able to send me texts without getting that auto-reply. However, that feels like I'm asking for too much. For now, I'd be happy with ANY kind of text message auto-reply!

Now, I know the Driving Focus Mode allows a customizable auto-reply, but then my phone has to be in Driving mode all the time, which is a pain when I actually want to USE the phone for other things. Every time I go on the phone to play a game or read my email, I have to answer "NO" to the "Are you driving right now?" question, and this shuts off Driving mode. UGH!! It seems like the other focus modes (Personal, Work, Do Not Disturb, etc.) should also allow auto-replies, and I have no idea why Apple is not allowing this feature. Furthermore, if they don't want to add that into the features of the Focus app, then why not at least allow third parties to create a new app which gives users the ability to auto-reply to text messages? It seems like this would be the killer feature for Focus in the future. After all, what good is Focus mode if you can't tell people why you're not answering their text messages? I know it says that I have Focus mode turned on, but (1) only other iPhone users even see that, and (2) some of my older and less tech-savvy contacts don't seem to understand what that means. This is really very frustrating!

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
“Seems like” this would be pretty easy to do from a Mac? AppleScript has application tie-ins and I’m sure I’ve used it in the past with Messages.

If you don’t have a Mac then…. Never mind :)

Reactions: DrMotownMac

DrMotownMac

Contributor
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Michigan
“Seems like” this would be pretty easy to do from a Mac? AppleScript has application tie-ins and I’m sure I’ve used it in the past with Messages.

If you don’t have a Mac then…. Never mind :)
Actually, I do have an M1 MacBook Air, but I'm not very familiar with AppleScript. But I've searched all over the web and I can't find any kind of script that would allow me to do this. I think it's more complicated than you think. But if you know something I don't, please feel free to share!

PlayMoneyPro

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2017
Northern CA
I think it would be a great feature if Apple came out with some sort of "Auto response" for texts, like we can do with emails. Seems pretty simple and would be a great feature.

I know for me personally, when I go on vacation I can never really get away from work because I still have clients texting me all the time. Would be great to have an auto reply that tells them I'm on vacation and to contact my partner, assistant, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.