Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Tos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Buffalo, New York
hello, I seem to have an issue where any text I receive during the night doesn’t show/stay on my lock screen. I don’t have DND activated or anything. Have an iPhone X on the latest iOS. Any ideas?

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
hello, I seem to have an issue where any text I receive during the night doesn’t show/stay on my lock screen. I don’t have DND activated or anything. Have an iPhone X on the latest iOS. Any ideas?
Maybe check notification settings. Had same issue a while ago on my iPhone 6, but that was on iOS 10

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Perhaps your phone resprings/restarts at night sometimes?

The Tos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Buffalo, New York
How do you know?

Do you have an Apple Watch?

I know because when when I unlock my phone in the morning I see a bunch of messages that came through overnight. None of which are on the lock screen.

I do have an apple watch but it is always locked on the charger at night.

Everything is on and active within messages notifications settings.

The phone doesn't respring or restart or I would be prompted to enter in my passcode and FaceId would be disabled.

CrashTestWalrus

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2018
I know because when when I unlock my phone in the morning I see a bunch of messages that came through overnight. None of which are on the lock screen.

I do have an apple watch but it is always locked on the charger at night.

Everything is on and active within messages notifications settings.

The phone doesn't respring or restart or I would be prompted to enter in my passcode and FaceId would be disabled.
I have the exact same issue, it’s been going on for a couple versions of iOS 11 now. I’ve even seen the message come in make the notification be on the lock screen for a few minutes, then remove itself. Only happens like that at night, and I don’t even have do not disturb mode on my iPhone anymore. I’ve basically just resigned to the fact that if I want to see what messages I got overnight then I need to unlock my phone.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
Have you tried dragging upwards from the middle of the lock screen in the morning? Do the missing messages appear then?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Do you see it disappear when you first look at the phone or is it already gone? Is the message in the notification shade? When you go into the message app is the new message there? If so is it marked as unread/new message?

Settings > notifications > Messages. What is everything set too?

The Tos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Buffalo, New York
Do you see it disappear when you first look at the phone or is it already gone? Is the message in the notification shade? When you go into the message app is the new message there? If so is it marked as unread/new message?

Settings > notifications > Messages. What is everything set too?

Everything is on and activated as it should be within those settings. I do not see the message on the lockscreen at all. Its only after unlocking the phone do I see the message icon notification on the app itself.

CobraPA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
Lansdale, PA, USA
Everything is on and activated as it should be within those settings. I do not see the message on the lockscreen at all. Its only after unlocking the phone do I see the message icon notification on the app itself.

What is Settings -> Notifications -> Show Previews set to?

Hughey79

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2017
Iowa
Also have this same issue. As with the other poster in this thread it has been going on for me in 11.3 and 11.4. Maybe ios 12 will be better

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
I’ve been having the same issues too. I’ve been using the same settings since 11 came out, but this only started becoming a problem during later updates for me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.