Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
My girlfriend has no space on her phone and almost 30gb of messages. Is there a way to use iCloud Message backup to keep messages off the device, but keep them for future needing? Thanks.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Is she using Messages in iCloud now? If so, that’s where the messages are being stored (along with the attachments). If she’s not using Messages in Cloud, maybe it’s time to consider that as a space-saving option.

Reactions: mikzn

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
My girlfriend has no space on her phone and almost 30gb of messages. Is there a way to use iCloud Message backup to keep messages off the device, but keep them for future needing? Thanks.

It may depend on your iCloud storage plan - I had to increase mine from the "free 5g" to the 50g that helps accomodate iMessages - the 50g plan works for me

Reactions: 0128672

Minorite

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2018
Poland
Using iCloud sync for messages will offload media and make a copy of texts. If it still eats tons of space, better get iMazing and load everything in PDF/save all attachments for future reference, make an encrypted iTunes backup and delete everything.

But I think that the plan suggested earlier should work. Get 50 GB iCloud plan, make sure sync for messages is enabled and leave it charging overnight. If no changes -- use the plan B described above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.