Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnny-Appleseed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Hello everyone! Hope you are all having a wonderful day so far!

The Problem
I recently (about 1 month ago) erased my MacBook's SSD and reinstalled macOS High Sierra 10.13.6. I then proceeded to transfer my iMessages from a backup of the Messages that I made and I had no problems so far. The problem was that during the erasing and installation I had received iMessages (on my iPhone 7 iOS 11.4.1) and now my conversations were no longer in sync. To try and rectify this problem I enabled the Messages in iCloud feature but this messed things up to another level. Now some iMessages deliver to my Mac and not my iPhone and vice versa, notifications are delayed on the device that is not being used (even if the Messages App isn't open), when I delete a conversation it does not delete from the other device and most importantly, the conversations are still not updated! Also, I only have around 2GB or less of Messages (including attachments)

I've tried many troubleshooting methods including:
-Logging in and out of iCloud and Messages on both the Mac and iPhone
-Leaving the iPhone and Mac connected to the power and on fast Wi-Fi for 24 hours with just the Messages App open
-Disabling and Enabling the Messages in iCloud feature

I'm just trying to get both devices to have the same conversations because right now some conversations are missing parts of it so if anyone has any other troubleshooting tips or tricks, please let me know!

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
I would sign out of iMessages on your Mac, turn Messages in iCloud off on your iPhone, and ensure the messages are deleted from your iCloud storage.

You can do this by going to Settings > [your name] > iCloud. Tap Manage Storage. Go to Messages and then Disable & Delete.

After this has deleted, restart your iPhone and re-enable Messages in iCloud. Leave your iPhone connected to power and wait for the upload/sync to complete. When this is completed, sign back in to iMessage on your Mac, and enable Messaged in iCloud.

Hopefully that should get things back in sync.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.