Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Irishappletech

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2017
Hi Hope all is well just wanted to ask something about messages in iCloud. The feature works amazingly well and I love it but. Just one thing is bugging me. When I go to iCloud settings - Manage Storage- Messages and click into the messages I see a “Conversations” view with my conversations and beside the persons name I see a storage amount telling me how much each is taking up. These storage amounts seem to be different across devices which is surprising considering it works over iCloud. I will attach pictures below so you can see.

So you can see all the same conversations showing but “Sams memoirs” group is showing on iPad as 543.7 mb but “Sams Memoirs” on iPhone is showing as 491.8 mb also “ Dylan” on iPad is showing as 355.2mb and “Dylan" on iPhone is showing as 328.6mb. Which obviously are different amounts.

You can see “Barry” is matching across both 174kb and same with “Gregg” and “Graham”

Any idea what might be going on here- potential bug ?

This use to match perfectly. Again it doesn’t seem to impact on messages appearing on all devices or any deleting from all devices and when a device is set up new they all come back as they are. I am just one of those people who is very touchy with minor details etc

Sorry for bothering you once again its just you have been great addressing small minor little problems so far and helping me find fixes for them

Thanks Very Much

Sam

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_88a.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_88a.jpeg
    341.2 KB · Views: 207
  • fullsizeoutput_88b.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_88b.jpeg
    358.9 KB · Views: 171

whoisyourdaddy

Suspended
Oct 2, 2018
Hi Hope all is well just wanted to ask something about messages in iCloud. The feature works amazingly well and I love it but. Just one thing is bugging me. When I go to iCloud settings - Manage Storage- Messages and click into the messages I see a “Conversations” view with my conversations and beside the persons name I see a storage amount telling me how much each is taking up. These storage amounts seem to be different across devices which is surprising considering it works over iCloud. I will attach pictures below so you can see.

So you can see all the same conversations showing but “Sams memoirs” group is showing on iPad as 543.7 mb but “Sams Memoirs” on iPhone is showing as 491.8 mb also “ Dylan” on iPad is showing as 355.2mb and “Dylan" on iPhone is showing as 328.6mb. Which obviously are different amounts.

You can see “Barry” is matching across both 174kb and same with “Gregg” and “Graham”

Any idea what might be going on here- potential bug ?

This use to match perfectly. Again it doesn’t seem to impact on messages appearing on all devices or any deleting from all devices and when a device is set up new they all come back as they are. I am just one of those people who is very touchy with minor details etc

Sorry for bothering you once again its just you have been great addressing small minor little problems so far and helping me find fixes for them

Thanks Very Much

Sam

The data information is capacity stored on the device. In those conversations you've downloaded more data in the conversation to one device than the other. It's not in reference to the data stored on the cloud drive which is syncing to those devices.

Update: Clarification after I reread this may seem confusing. It's the amount which has been uploaded for syncing between devices. One device isn't necessarily going to have the same data in the conversation unless you've downloaded all of the data in the conversation to each device and they're merged. At that point, then the capacities should be the same if the data is the same and not differing because of photo quality different for one device over the other, etc.

Last edited:

Irishappletech

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2017
Ok cool so how would I go about merging them and how would I download them on each device. That’s the iCloud storage not the phones local storage just as a side note

whoisyourdaddy

Suspended
Oct 2, 2018
The
Ok cool so how would I go about merging them and how would I download them on each device. That’s the iCloud storage not the phones local storage just as a side note

When I said merged, I meant matching in capacity. So, my fault with using the incorrect description. Want them to match, which I believe is pointless; remove iCloud from both devices, delete your backups, DFU installation on both, and then install as new on both devices. Sign into iCloud after this and enable messages in iCloud on both, if it wasn’t by default.

Irishappletech

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2017
I did a factory restore to fix another issue I’ve noticed the messages are matching across devices now within the settings themselves must have been a glitch

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.