Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

syrcular

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2013
Hey all - Does Messages in the Cloud actually work? I have four Apple devices. 2 out of the four seem to have my entire Messages in the Cloud history but my new iPhone 13 Pro Max doesn't seem to have all the message history, yet my new iPad mini does have the entire Messages in the Cloud history. I've tried rebooting, unchecking and rechecking the Messages in the Cloud option to try and resync, but to no avail.
I'm just wondering if this feature actually works when syncing across multiple devices, and if so, any tips? Should I reach out to Apple Support?

rocketbuc

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2017
I think the sync only works if the devices are on WiFi and charging. At least until the bulk of your messages is in sync.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I think the sync only works if the devices are on WiFi and charging. At least until the bulk of your messages is in sync.

That is incorrect. I'm sitting here on my MBA and if I send a message to a friend in the Messages app, it pops up on my iPhone (even on cellular data and not charging) within a couples seconds.

syrcular

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2013
I'll give that a try. How about with a Mac? My Mac mini is also having issues with syncing, while my iPad Pro and iPad mini as well as my MacBook Pro seem to be totally syncing fine. :-/

syrcular

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2013
That is incorrect. I'm sitting here on my MBA and if I send a message to a friend in the Messages app, it pops up on my iPhone (even on cellular data and not charging) within a couples seconds.
I think rocketbuc is referring to that initial download of messages, not continued sync. I think?

Reactions: rocketbuc

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I think rocketbuc is referring to that initial download of messages, not continued sync. I think?

Recently got my iPhone 13 Pro Max and all my messages synced even though I wasn't charging. I was on wi-fi at the time, though.

Reactions: syrcular

keeper

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2008
i had a sync issue with ios15, i logged out of icloud on the affected device and back in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.