Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drewps5co0tt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Hey,

I have messages turned ON for iCloud on both my iPhone & iPad, I was curious if anyone knows how often messages are backed up to the cloud? The reason why I ask is when I view the backup conversations from each device (settings/YOUR NAME/iCloud/manage storage/messages/conversations)...same on iPad...not all of my messages are there. For example the iPhone shows two conversations where the iPad only shows 1...when in fact there should be 3 showing for each device.

I'm just trying to figure out how to update to get them all on the Cloud, is there a way to do it manually or does it happen when it feels like it?

Don't get this confused with iCloud Backup...I don't use that nor is it required.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Are the missing messages SMS (green) messages by some chance? If so, you probably don't have Text Message Forwarding setup (Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding).

Reactions: Furzul

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Back up typically happens immediately assume you have data. To gauge speed delete a message thread on one device while watching that thread on the other.

“Conversation” consist of message with an attachment. Text only is going to a single database file.

If you see the message in the message app on the device you didn’t type it on and messages in iCloud are on it’s saved in you iCloud. iCloud (again when messages in iCloud are turned on) seeds your other devices so it’s the first stop.

Drewps5co0tt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Are the missing messages SMS (green) messages by some chance? If so, you probably don't have Text Message Forwarding setup (Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding).

Nope, text messaging forwarding is setup, they come right to my iPad!

Easttime

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2015
I’ve been experiencing message forking problems between my iPhone, iPad and others’ iPhones and iPads. Trying all kinds of reported fixes at my end and theirs. Thought I had it sorted, then yesterday I replied to a message from my wife on my iPad. A message popped up on my iPad saying my message was not delivered. I went to my iPhone which showed my message from the iPad had delivered. Head scratcher. Long reply to say that I can’t help you because I can’t help myself, and that the Messages service is a mysterious thing.

Drewps5co0tt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
One other thing I have noticed, if you log into icloud.com, it doesn't show messages. Apple tech support claims they are still working on this because "messages" was just recently added to the cloud. Who knows anymore lol

Drewps5co0tt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Back up typically happens immediately assume you have data. To gauge speed delete a message thread on one device while watching that thread on the other.

“Conversation” consist of message with an attachment. Text only is going to a single database file.

If you see the message in the message app on the device you didn’t type it on and messages in iCloud are on it’s saved in you iCloud. iCloud (again when messages in iCloud are turned on) seeds your other devices so it’s the first stop.

So you're saying if there is no "attachments" in a text message, that the conversation won't show up in (settings/YOUR NAME/iCloud/manage storage/messages/conversations)? That's interesting, I did verify that two of the 3 conversations have attachments and they show up in the above location, but one of them has no attachments and it's still not showing up. I'll have to send a pic or something for the one conversation and then see if it then updates in the above location. I wonder why though it won't show unless you have an attachment in the conversation, that's a bit odd.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
So you're saying if there is no "attachments" in a text message, that the conversation won't show up in (settings/YOUR NAME/iCloud/manage storage/messages/conversations)? That's interesting, I did verify that two of the 3 conversations have attachments and they show up in the above location, but one of them has no attachments and it's still not showing up. I'll have to send a pic or something for the one conversation and then see if it then updates in the above location. I wonder why though it won't show unless you have an attachment in the conversation, that's a bit odd.

Exactly.

Yes, try finding a conversation you have in messages that isn't in "conversations" and sending an image into it. It should appear in conversations nearly immediately.

This is because text (as in the literal type) is stored in a single database and updated accordingly. Overall this is a much more efficient way of handling the data with data integrity, security, storage space used, spotlight search speed, etc.
[doublepost=1534555453][/doublepost]
One other thing I have noticed, if you log into icloud.com, it doesn't show messages. Apple tech support claims they are still working on this because "messages" was just recently added to the cloud. Who knows anymore lol

I doubt we will ever see anything meaningful on iCloud.com with iMessages. If you mean actually being able to interact with messages and see conversations individually would require severely diminished security for browser compatibility.

Also messages (specifically iMessage) is Apples crown jewel and is incredibly important to their business. Its why many people stay with iPhones and they know this. Enabling browser compatibility is like them making iMessage open source. Many Android users just run a browser in the background with an iCloud.com/messages tab open. It wouldn't be long before apps with that webUI would be purpose built, followed by apps that could translate the webUI into a dedicated app.

This would also be a massive hit to their services from people that essentially aren't customers, people with PC's and iTunes accounts sending messages from their iTunes emails.

It would just be a mess.

I think the most we will ever see is going to be a way to delete messages from iCloud.com.

Drewps5co0tt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
I tried what you suggested (adding a picture to a text message) and it still doesn't show up in conversations.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.